Time to start taking exams!

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by CJWelch89, Mar 14, 2014.

1. CJWelch89

CJWelch89 Bit Poster

Finally after a huge career change and much procrastination I am taking the first half of the A+ exam at midday! I'm consistently getting around 90% using the Boson Exsim software so I know I'm ready. I'll probably book the second half for early next week.

I've spent the last 2 1/2 months studying not just for the the A+ but also Network+ and Security+.

This time next week I should be A+ certified then Network+ a week after that and Security+ a week on from that.

I've had a lot of time off recently which has enabled me to study full time, I used a combination of the following materials to get me through it;

Books(all come with hundreds of practice questions)~
    CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition by Mike Meyers
    CompTIA Network+ N10-005 Authorized Cert Guide by Kevin Wallace
    CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 Authorized Cert Guide by David Prowse

Videos(just managed to watch the last of the security+ clips last week)~
    CBT Nuggets
    Eli the computer guy - Youtube

Test simulation software(invaluable)~
    ExSim-Max Kit for CompTIA A+ (800 Series) by Boson
    ExSim-Max for CompTIA Network+ N10-005 by Boson
    ExSim-Max for CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 by Boson

My head is about to explode, bring on the dreaded service-desk!!! :twisted:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    Certifications: Network+, A+, ITQ 2
    WIP: Security+, Server+
    Ren-Exar-Droma and vafangool like this.
  2. CJWelch89

CJWelch89 Bit Poster

Nailed it! 822/900 ~ 91%

How many simulation questions??? Jeez!

Ren-Exar-Droma likes this.
  3. CJWelch89

CJWelch89 Bit Poster

Just passed the 802 today with 87%! Finally, A+ certified!

Network+ in a week...

4. Ren-Exar-Droma

Ren-Exar-Droma New Member

Congratz! I have several questions (if you don't mind me asking):

How many hours a day did you study?
    Did you read the books first, then move on to the videos, then on to the boson tests?
    Did you take the 801 and 802 in one sitting(just want to make sure I understood you correctly)?
    Was the boson practice test exactly like the real exam?
    What would you do different or do you have any recommended study tips?
    One last question: In these 2 1/2 months how did you split up the studying? For example 1 month A+, 1 Month network, 1/2 month security?

Thanks! :D

5. CJWelch89

CJWelch89 Bit Poster

Thanks for the congrats mate, hope my answers were of help.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
  6. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Well done on passing the A+. All the best for the Network+ :)

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  7. Ren-Exar-Droma

Thanks! Your answers helped alot!

Edit: Did you use the cd that came with the exam cram, the one with the test questions/practice exam? And if so how does it compare to boson.

Because Im not sure if i even need to buy boson if the exam cram comes with a mock test

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  8. CJWelch89

CJWelch89 Bit Poster

Hi Ren, with the Mike Meyers book I found the questions were not a true representation of the difficulty of the real exam, they seemed far too easy. That's the reason I bought the Boson software, which is imo actually harder than the exam and also contains excellent simulation based questions which aren't included in the book's software. The Boson software also includes a 'Smart mode' which will repeatedly show you questions you fail up to a preset amount of times which was one of the main selling points for me. The software included with the books I linked to for the Network+ & Security+ is excellent, the questions are spot on but still there are no simulation questions of which you will get a fair amount in the real exams and no smart mode. If you're not picky like me and aren't concerned with wanting the best then save yourself the money, you'll probably do alright with the three books and the included software.

9. Ren-Exar-Droma

I think better safe then sorry, so I will just get the boson, and be 99.99% positive I will pass when I go to take the exam.

10. vafangool

vafangool Bit Poster

Good luck. I just passed 801 and network +. Doing 802 this week. Did you use the passport version of the mike Meyers a+ book?

11. CJWelch89

CJWelch89 Bit Poster

vafangool, I used the All-In-One Exam guide by Mike Meyers.

A little later than I expected but I've got my Network+ booked today at 3pm! Can't wait!

12. CJWelch89

CJWelch89 Bit Poster

Passed with a score of 836!

Chuffed, now onto Security+ which I will probably sit next Friday and then I can start studying for Server+ before ITIL Foundation.

13. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass!

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  14. vafangool

vafangool Bit Poster

I had that book too. Think it was 8th edition. It just had so much stuff that was not on the test. I was so happy I took a course. I just got a+ and network + in the process of doing CCNA. Congrats again

15. CJWelch89

CJWelch89 Bit Poster

I agree the book is way over the top when it comes to purely passing the exam. I must admit I stopped reading the book about a quarter way in and switched to primarily watching CBT nuggets and used the book only as a reference tool.

16. vafangool

vafangool Bit Poster

Yea the cbt nuggets are great. The passport edition that mike Meyers wrote was a lot better. Was just stuff that was on the test. It was the book the course used

17. CJWelch89

CJWelch89 Bit Poster

How many hours a day did you study? Honestly, most days between 6-8 hours stopping only for cuppa's and lunch, some days if I'm in the zone and needy girlfriend allowing I'll be up until midnight.

Did you read the books first, then move on to the videos, then on to the boson tests? I tried that method but after realizing that the books are seriously overblown with 'coffee talk' I stopped reading at about a quarter way in and used them only as a reference tool. I'll choose a topic, watch all the relevant CBT nuggets, Professor Messer and Eli The Computer Guy clips then I will skim through the book for anything they might have missed and answer the practice questions. Then I'll move onto the Boson tests, the great thing about them is that using the custom test option you can specify that you only want to be tested for a certain objective, so I'll choose the topic I've been studying for and take that test, if I fail then the learning loop starts again and again until I'm scoring 90% or more on that test. Then it's time to move on.

Did you take the 801 and 802 in one sitting(just want to make sure I understood you correctly)? No I took them a week apart, if you're feeling confident/cocky then go ahead and sit them both in one day but keep in mind that after you sit a CompTIA test you will get a printout underlining the objectives you struggled on. That week gap then can be put to good use.

Was the boson practice test exactly like the real exam? I actually found the Boson tests harder than the real deal, I finished the exam's in about 30 minutes, didn't even bother reviewing.

What would you do different or do you have any recommended study tips? Hmmm what would I do differently. I really don't know, if I had the motivation (and lack of a girlfriend) I'd have studied all day, all night. Study tips? Get into a routine and no matter what stick to it. Wake up. Breakfast and coffee. 10am deadline to start. Take a deep breath. Study 8 hours. 6pm finish studying. Breath out. Relax time. Put all your distractions away, get rid of the Xbox, accept today is gonna be a long boring dry day and power through it.

One last question: In these 2 1/2 months how did you split up the studying? For example 1 month A+, 1 Month network, 1/2 month security? Well I started studying on the 13th of January and I believe including today that takes me up to 92 days so I am a fortnight over. All I have left is Sec+ which I plan to sit this Friday so that'll make me nearly 3 weeks over. 3 Months and one week for A+, Net+ and Sec+. Now going by my study start day and my exam dates it works out as 63 days for A+, 22 days for Network+ and 7 days for Security+. Realistically it's more like 34 days for A+, 44 days for Network+ and 14 days for Security+.

Hope this helps...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  18. CJWelch89

CJWelch89 Bit Poster

Just a quick update!

Thought I'd mention that I've just passed the Security+ today with a score of 790. Found the exam to easily be the most tricky of the CompTIA trio!

I'm so glad this compTIA grind has come to an end and I look forward to studying for the CCNA.

19. vafangool

vafangool Bit Poster

Congratulations. I am doing CCNA now. Totally different than comptia tests..

20. vdo4ever

vdo4ever New Member

Congrats to you all on the success! I passed my 220-801 on Tuesday with an 832. I'm going over the 220-802 material and plan to take it by mid-May. One question for you CJ. Did you have a lot of simulations on the 802? Not trying to get questions, but I wanted to know if it was more sims than the 801?

Regards,

Jaime