Time to move on ???

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Mar 15, 2015.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So its been 15 months into my role now and Im note sure what to do.

I have grown in confidence and feel that although I am not 100% ready to move onto the next step, i feel that i am not far away from it. I have been thinking about leaving for the last 2 months now, not because i hate the place, im starting to get wound up with our team being used for other things that really are not IT.

My primary role is helpdesk technician and ill also find myself getting the chance to do some 2nd line and possibly 3rd line support work, I will also get to liaise with external companies in regards to issues we have etc.

Over the last few months we have had the urine extracted out of us, to put it mildly, we seem to be helping other people out, normally which i dont mind, especially when its quiet but its getting to the point where were still busy and expected to set stuff up for people, move stuff around etc.

The thing that got me the other week was that MS word was crashing for the students. At first it was one student, then three then ten and then 2 classrooms. Now unbeknown to me, someone had changed a print driver, because 'it was the correct one', as opposed the one currently installed on the print server, however there was no issue with the print driver, in fact everything was running sweet. That bit didnt bother me as im sure i would of got to that point later on.

What did bother me was the phone call i got halfway through asking if i could help put up some posters for a parents evening??? I did explain that i was halfway through a big issue, but then got the reply oh just hand it over to mr blogs etc. I was fuming, i am quite laid back, but i really wanted to tell people what to do, where to go and how to do it. Thankfully I didnt, but i did drag my feet in getting to where i was told to go. I briefed the lad who took over, which took a good 20 mins, and by the time i got there i ended up putting up 4 posters, by the time i got back, i then found out about the driver etc.

For all the time i have been there, i thnk i would be right in saying there are 3 months worth of work that are nothing to do with IT.

I could speak to my line manager but i would get the response well its just one of them things etc, deal with it, although t be fair to the line manager we get on very well, same sense of humour etc.

I think what makes this hard to swallow is that, yes i know im helpdesk, but say were getting bombardied with students requests, i will take most of them on and deal with them, then if i cant fix them, i will then raise them. One thing i dont get 90% of the time, is the time to properly research stuff, like when there is an issue going on etc.

It may sound like I am whining, but i dont mean too.

I am looking and know of where 2 jobs will be coming up soon, both in education so I will see what goes, maybe use it as a bargaining chip if i get offered any job. Im not after a pay rise, I have never been like that about money to be fair, I just want to do IT, helping out is one thing, being dragged left right and centre is another.

Anyway rant over

Feel free to tell me to get a grip etc

Zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hiya mate, no worries were here to listen. I've never worked in an educational facility but it would be good to hear what some of the guys who work in a similar industry think as I would imagine being asked to help with odd jobs is common and maybe even a compliment in a way. Hanging posters Not so much but perhaps you're just a very handy person in genera, which is why you are asked. I often have to do things I don't like, not sure if it's my role etc. I think we all don't times mate. Just my two cents but also if you are happy where you are I would stay there and get all you can out of it. A good relationship with your boss is also a really good plus for staying. Cheers, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I get where you're coming from and can relate. I dont work in IT but I get annoyed when managers are asking me to do this and that when its not my job. I dont mind helping out but it gets annoying when its expected of you, which is what I think is going on with you, so can defo relate. I cant really give advice BUT its either a choice of put up with it or leave as if you suddenly start saying you wont help with things unrelated to your job they may not sack you but will most likely make your life as awkward as possible and make you out to be the bad guy. So yeah if it REALLY gets to you then maybe move on...

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

My advice would be that you're either being pushed to ensure you do stand up and do the right thing (ie pushing back when dealing with issues) or they just don't actually realise that the work they are telling you to do doesn't fall to the IT guy but actually a general admin person.
    Hanging posters?? really?

Personally speaking I would be talking to my manager for clarification in what my job role entails, after that if you're still being sent on stupid side jobs I would start looking for a new role where you're actually doing the work that you're being paid for rather than admin tasks that any Tom, Dick or Harry could do, not one that they think the IT guy should do.

Again just my opinion and you don't have to agree with it but you're not an office admin

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

IT in education is a different kettle of fish than industry simply because the needs of teachers and pupils are so diverse. We spend a great deal of time spoon feeding users on how systems work and how to effectively use them. Teachers can be very opposed to change and the pupils are ALWAYS 2 steps ahead of them.

Yes we do have to set stuff up for talks and the like. Our first line people are always coming back mumbling that the network lead wasn't plugged in and why don't people check. The old adage, "If it has a plug then it HAS to be IT" is very true. We even had a music teacher come into the dept asking is we could help fix a pupils saxophone.

Personally if someone comes into the Dept asking for help I think the whole team would do all in their power to help. However, we all would draw the line at putting up posters, unless of course they are electronic notice boards.

I agree with the comments above, you should be talking to you line manager and putting your point across, you aren't an admin assistant but you are flexible enough to help out as long as it falls within the remit of the IT Dept.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. zxspectrum

I have just read through all this post again, and what a difference one week makes.

Last week we were stupidly busy, but i loved every minute of it. They took on board one of my ideas and we have been implementing it around the college, so if anyone steals a mac from us we can track it.

I have been kept informed of a role that may present itself, but now im thinking about it if where i am was like this every week, i would not be even thinking about going elsewhere. The people i can fallback on if i need to is very reassuring and i know this new role, will be very isolated, but with some form of support.

Im at a 50 50 stage now, where as when i first posted this i was like 80 20. I know not every day will be rosey and people have good and bad days.

Think my problem is i get emotional about people. I mean asking for a reference will not be an easy thing and taking the job if offered??? Its making me all jittery just thinking about it.

Anyway..... i think ill wait and see

Ed

7. JK2447

Hiya Ed, a bit of time to think it over always helps. I notice your Certs mentions a BSc, nice one mate, is that new or am I being dim (very possible)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  8. zxspectrum

Hey JK

I graduated in 2011. Took me a while to get my foot in the door mind.

9. JK2447

Nice one mate, it's hard getting that first break isn't it but hopefully all on the up now you've cracked it