Time to go, my car's here....

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Cockles, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi guys and gals

It’s been a while

And unfortunately, there are reasons for that. Truth be told, my studying went for a right nosedive recently owing to – among other things – starting a new job which has taken up a lot of my time. :cry:

For me, studying IT was an interest more than anything. I didn’t start it in order to pursue a career in it (well, if during the course of studying I naturally went that way, then so be it!), but purely for an interest in the subject and a desire to gain knowledge in it. Unfortunately, my dedication to studying IT led to a detrimental effect in my other passion in life – bass playing!!

I was dedicating less and less time to not only practicing my beloved bass, but also to reading up on musical theory, of which you can never do too much of. So I made the decision to pack the IT books away, get rid of the old PC in the corner I had ripped apart, and put my efforts back into my bass playing. I have already put 13 years of my life into learning how to tease the bugger into making noise, I didn’t want that to slip away.

I heard a very interesting saying the other day relating to learning martial arts which also carries forth in life, went something like ‘better to be good at one thing than ok at lots of things’, which is what I was doing, trying to be good at everything. Just ain’t possible. Would rather channel my energies into the one thing in life I can actually do and get to the highest possible level I can

Anyhow, I just wanted to say thanks very much to the guys and girls that did help me with my studying, to name but just a few: Boyce, UCM, Cheeks, Bluerinse, Harry, Raf, Phoenix, Leehaa, Zeb, Trip, Arronyn, AJ…I could go on, but you know who you are. This is a fantastic and worthwhile site and the service you provide is just incredible

If it is ok, I would like to drop in sometimes, if not just to read Raffaz’s naff jokes from time to time, but also to maybe join in a bit of banter or get advice from real professionals when I am in the market for anything IT related.

Certforums. I salute you

Adios:thumbleft

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Sorry to see your going mate, good luck for the future and dont be a stranger:thumbleft

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Come on back whenever! You know how to find your way back home if you ever feel the urge. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Cheers pal. Keep them jokes coming and I won't be going anywhere :D

5. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Kind words BBM, much appreciated

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Thanks for your kind words Cockles.

Don't be a stranger to CF, you don't need to be studying IT to be able to take part in our little community :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Whoops, just called you by your old name, sorry pal :oops:

8. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Meant every word AJ, it was this site alone that gave me the push to get started, no where else I looked could give me a straight answer, or either made it seem impossible to study or tried to nick my money.

Thank you

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

u dont need to ask if it's *ok*, as you well know, it is ok... good luck forthe future, look forward to seeing on M-TV

10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Cheers dude. You also have been a good source of amusement, some of your replies have raised a titter, I ain't missing out on that

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with the others, Cockles. Stay in touch. Cheers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Cheers Trip, I certainly will mate, great little community here

Right, time to really dash now, Thursday night being the new Friday and all. Take care all:biggrin

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Good luck fella - in whatever you do. I'm the opposite of you really, I got sick of playing guitar about five years ago, and, although I still have three, and a load of equipment, i really can't be arsed to bother with it any more. I play about once a week now - and that's enough for me :biggrin

See you when you pop in!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Pop by any time!

Just bring your own beers! :biggrin

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sorry to hear you are leaving CF and not taking your IT career further - sometimes you have to follow what's inside.

Good luck, drop in to let us know how the bass is going :thumbleft

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'll always be BBM... besides, I've been called MUCH worse in my life. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I know how you feel, bro... as a guitar player of over 20 years, there was a long time when 4 hours a day was the norm. Nowadays, although I play at church every week, I'm lucky if I get 4 hours in the week. I've tried what you did, several times, and only realized that although guitar was my #1 joy, nobody was banging on my door to play it for a living. So, I study IT to keep my gear addiction syndrome (G.A.S.) at a reasonable level.

At one point, I wanted to be the best player I could be. Now, I'm content in my ability, but theory can always use a workout, so much of my playing centers on this, even in limited timeframes. In end, I'm OK with being a jack-of-all-trades than a guitar player, because I've never felt particularly gifted in any one area. If I picked up a guitar at age 5, and playing Paganini at 6, then that would be a different story.

Rock on in whatever you do, bro!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  18. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Good luck mate, enjoy!

Hope to see you on here in the future :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm no longer pursuing an IT career and I'm still cluttering up the place, even though the pangs are starting to come back a little :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  20. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

How come?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT