Time to finally start CCNA

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Beerbaron, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I recently passed my VCP5 exam so need to move on to my next cert. The CCNA has always been in the back of my mind for a few years but its something that I haven't been too motivated to start. I don't have a big interest in it but I appreciate the cert and knowledge I get from it will progress my career and will be an important skill set. I need to draw up a plan of attack:

1. A good text book. Recommendations?
    2. Videos. I generally prefer to watch these than read. Recommendations?
    3. Build a small lab. I learn more from doing rather than reading/watching.
    4. I normally self study but was pleased with the training I received from 360gsp with the VCP5 course. I'm quite tempted to sign up for their CCNA course as its currently on offer. https://www.360gsp.com/training/deals-this-month

Thanks.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  2. catherinecnw

catherinecnw Banned

I took some online courses from SPAM LINK and found it really helpful for my CCNA exam. Have a look and see if it can help you too.
    Catherine

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  3. Beerbaron

I'm based in the UK plus pimping a training provider in your first post isn't helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
  4. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Hi mate,

I passed ICND1 using CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide (CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exam 640-802)
    Wendell Odom and CBT Nuggets.

I got this book for ICND2 - CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 7th Edition Todd Lammle and CBT nuggets

I used GNS3 and Packet tracer, craigie's post on this forum were also helpful. Take a look at my blog post for some more links - Passed - Cisco CCENT (ICND 1) | Chris Stark - Some of this may apply for the ICND 2.

I chose the two exam path due to self studying made it easier. Planning on taking ICND2 after my VCP exam (still to book... soon!)

Hope that helps :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  5. Beerbaron

Hi, Hows the VCP5 going?

I'm going for the single exam route i think. I've got the CBT nuggets downloaded so going to start there.

6. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Just going through the blue print ensuring I know most of it...

For the CCNA then I recommend this book CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 7th Edition Todd Lammle

Good luck! :)

7. Beerbaron

I have spoken to a work colleague and he suggests doing the 2 exam route. Hes doing his 2nd CCNP exam at the moment.

8. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Seems the best bet, there was too much for me to take in with lack of experience to do the one exam - it also breaks it up nicely :)

9. Beerbaron

exactly what he said. with a lack of hands on experience with cisco equipment it makes it more difficult.