Time to cert up again I think

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by NeedMoreSleep, Feb 22, 2011.

1. NeedMoreSleep

NeedMoreSleep Bit Poster

Hello all,

After spending the best part of saturday vegitating watching repeats of Top Gear on Dave (Dave is a UK TV Channel, not my mate Dave, that'd just be a bit weird and wouldn't really use a projector to it's full potential) I kinda felt like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons when he says "Oh my god, I've wasted my life" so I decided it's time to start studying again.

I've already got a 2003 MCSA and I work with W2K8 and Win 7 all day so I think I'll stick with the Microsoft route and I'm thinking MCITP:Enterprise Admin would be my best route (what do you think?). I got the MCSA about almost 4 years ago along with my current job (network admin for a small/medium sized business: I'm now a jack of all trades and a master of none) which doesn't require my to have certs so I'm doing this just to keep myself fresh and up to date.

I've a new baby so I'm limited to when I can study which will be an hour a day before work. I don't think the misses will accept the excuse that I can't change a nappy as I'm halfway through a cracking article about Kerberos authentication! Do you think an MCITP:Enterprise Admin is do-able with only having an hours study a day?

Anyways, I'll stop blathering on now, I'm looking forward to getting involved in the forum and don't worry my posts aren't always this long :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: MCITP:Enterprise Admin
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Welcome :)

I'm currently studying the MCITP: EA Course - i've only just passed the 70-680 but been reading the server 2k8 material for the last couple of months - i normally do about an hour and a half - 2 hours a day, and a day off on weekends sometimes :D

I think it's completely do-able - but i guess it depends on your experience, from what you say you sound as though you know what you're doing and you're obviously working with the technology most days :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. NeedMoreSleep

NeedMoreSleep Bit Poster

Cheers, yeah I'm not in a rush to pass and if I can take it slow and steady that'll do me fine.

I've noticed your sig and I couldn't agree more, the MMC of SCCM is one of the buggiest I've ever used. I manage all our OS and software deployments via SCCM and the number of times I've had to retry failed apps is ridiculous, GPO deployment of MSI's was restrictive but at least you pretty much knew it'd work. I haven't looked into vNext yet but I'm hoping it's a tad more reliable.

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Hehe, it's more of a playful jab at SCCM - example today is switching to SEP - i've got 6 machines that refuse to download the b*****d client and reinstaling SCCM is a 50/50 that it'll work, even then takes forever to update!

I don't deal with it server side, but more of the site's DP of the server, just making sure it works (sometimes it does :mrgreen: )

Good luck with the course if you go with it, i've found the books very interesting so far, and enjoying the studying. I work with server 2008 alot inside of work also, so i do have alot of servers to mess about with and see the examples in real time, which is a nice benefit.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Had you considered getting some more sleep?

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome!

SCCM is a challenge on it's own... I am actually working on integrating our WSUS with SCCM creating a beast for software/windows updates. The idea is to have a SUP along with SCUP+WSUS and hoping it works well! I've heard so many issues can happen but I go for the complicated tasks, gives me something to think about! On other hand OS deployments are working really well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. NeedMoreSleep

NeedMoreSleep Bit Poster

Haha :biggrin yeah adding an extra hour to the start of my day with studying probably isn't the best idea. Not sure how else where I can fit study in along with work, spending some quality time with the misses and kid and doing a little bit of exercise though. I really could do with an extra couple of hours in the day. :blink