time scale for completing comptia+

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by pete1, Jun 6, 2008.

1. pete1

pete1 Bit Poster

looking to start the comptia A+ soon and was just wandering how long this can take to complete. i know it all about how much time you have but i want to know how quick this course could actually be completed in if you threw yourself head first into it. you see i work shifts and have alot of time to myself.

all opinions welcome :)

thanks pete

forgot to mention it will be self study

Certifications: ECDL
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on how well you know the material.

If you just need a refresher then you could do it in a week.

I took a couple of months - I used my commute time to read a chapter of Mike Meyers tome each weekday.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It took me a while because of financial reasons but I was ready after a couple of months. Don't study too much or you will burn yourself out.

I over studied because I couldn't afford to take the exams I kept studying and studying and when I could afford to take both exams I just passed the essentials and aced the 220-602. I probably would have done better on the essential exam if I had taken it a couple of months after starting to study.

Good luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. pete1

pete1 Bit Poster

thanks for the comments. i was looking at roughly 2 months so it looks like i was'nt being to unrealistic. how about network+. im looking to earn a bit so extra dosh by going to peoples homes and helping with any problems they may have,would these 2 courses be ok for this purpose. thanks again

Certifications: ECDL
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The usuall first certs to go for are A+, N+ then MCDST.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I did N+ in a month.

However - you should realize that I'd been doing this stuff for years before I decided to get the certs. If you aren't familiar with the material you could take a lot longer than the times I gave.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I did A+ and network+ in about a 6 weeks, then again id been working in IT about 6 years then, and was running the network for a small network reseller.

It really all depends on what you already know, and a lot of the stuff i did have to learn was facts (such as transmission rates) of buses and whatnot.

Dont push it too hard, just learn and enjoy learning, and make sure you have the best materials and practice exams so you dont waste money on resits.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How long does it take? As long as it takes. Study until you understand the concepts completely, then take the exam. For some people, it takes less than a day. For others, it can take over a year. Thus, it would be irresponsible of me to tell you how long it should take you. Only you will know the answer to that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!