Time for some Certs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jameswright2, Aug 19, 2016.

1. jameswright2

jameswright2 New Member

Hi,

so I have been in IT now for around 10 years I managed to get my foot in the door then with experience have managed to get a good career in IT.
    I work in a relatively young team so it keeps me on my toes, I only have ITL and a foundation Vmware exam I am 37 and understand that I really need to specialize or at least get some certificates behind me to help for the future years, the industry is getting younger and I do not want to be a manger or left behind.

I am not great at studying but last year I sat and studied for Server 2012 I failed twice I was very low in a lot of areas so I thought it was to big a jump.
    My plan is to pass a server exam and then move onto Vmware which is were my interest lies, we have a full vmware estate so I get plenty of hands on learning, once I show that I can pass some exams my manager will pay for some of the exams but it will be all self study.

I think I failed the 2012 due to a lack of the theory behind IT I am great at problem solving and fixing things but with no university education I struggle with the theory that gets you through.

So my questions is do I resit the Server 2012 or got back a bit and do Network +, Storage exams and then work my way up

day to day hands on are below
    Vmware,VCenter,
    Hyper V
    Windows 10
    Server 2012.

thanks for all advice

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The groundings of a good virtualisation admin stem from that of a system admin (Windows or Linux), you need to have a good understanding of the base OS before you can really step up to virtualisation (trust me on this, I was a Novell Admin, then a Windows Admin, now a VMware focused Admin). Alongside the OS side of things you're going to have to grasp storage (iSCSI, NFS, FC, LUNs, Aggregates, RAID etc) as well as basic networking (VLAN's, Subnetting, basic IP troubleshooting etc).

It's a steep learning curve but it's achievable if you work hard at it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. jameswright2

jameswright2 New Member

Hi Simon thanks so Network + and Windows 10 to begin and A storage exam

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Unless you're going down the route of VDI (Virtual Desktops) you really should be doing Server OS's as a priority.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Just to add, VDI is still a very niche market most of the desktop and application delivery technologies are still based upon server OS's due to licensing costs.

So +1 for server OS's without a grounding on what you are trying to virtualise you will miss out on most of the required information, as when you virtualise any OS there is a lot of streamlining and changes you need to make to the operating system in a virtual environment that does not happen in a physical environment.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. jameswright2

jameswright2 New Member

Thanks, yes it make sense,