Time concerns

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by CombatRock, Feb 17, 2011.

1. CombatRock

CombatRock Bit Poster

Hiya guys, iv just ordered the 271 book from amazon and i'm waiting on it coming. As i know it, i have to pass both exams before june, is this correct? what happens if i have only passed one by then, will it have been a complete waste of time?

I am at uni mon- fri and work sat. Can anyone give me tips on how to study and pass both exams quickly?

Many thanks,

CR

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA SEC, INFOSEC (4011), MCP
    WIP: CCNP (R/S)
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yes you're correct as the exam for the MCDST expires in June of this year 2011. However, seeing that you are studying in the university and time is a constraint you can approach this in two ways.

Firstly, get yourself the required books and study for one hour every day and nothing more than this as you don't want your uni study to suffer.

Secondly, get the cbt nugget videos for the MCDST course and compliment this with the books in the process get as much practical hands done.

Lastly, most things in life is achievable with hard work, prioritising of your time effectively, determination and drive. All the best and keep us informed of your progress.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. AjP

AjP Bit Poster

After taking 20-271 last week and Passing with score >900 I would say just use the CD that comes with the self paced training kits and also the CBT Nuggets (~7hrs for each exam)

I did use the Self Paced training book although I definitely learned more from the CD and the CBT Nuggets

some of the questions are incorrect on the CD/Book (See KB916525 and KB890368 for correcttions)

My advise would be watch the CBT nuggests and make notes (You can review the book for anything you are not clear about) then get on to the custom "exam" mode on the CD and just keep doing sets of 10 questions and reviewing the explinations for the ones you are getting incorrect until you are confident with the material.

Some things you should definitely know before you start the looking at the questions on the CD *Not an exhaustive List*:

• Minimum system requirements: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865
    • Upgrade Paths from other Windows OS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292607 :

Win 95 (in book says upgrade to 98 then to XP (Page 2-19) KB shows no supported upgrade path) :eek: ??
      Win NT 4.0 requires SP5 and above​
      Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP Home (Direct Upgrade)​
    • Calculating NTFS Permissions and Shared Permissions (Chapter 5 in book)
    • Performance (chapter 12, Particularly take note of the values for problems i.e. Processor usage > 80 = CPU botle neck, Memory Pages/sec > 20 = Memory Bottle neck)
    • Definitely read Chapter 10 Lesson 1 in the book it is a very good overview of how TCP/IP addressing and Name resolution works
    • Recognise the Automatic Private IP and when it is used (i.e. when cannot locate a DHCP server)- IP address Class B network IP 169.254.XXX.XXX subnet mask 255.255.0.0
    • Creating a remote request using remote assistance

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-682, MCITP
  4. AjP

AjP Bit Poster

If you only Pass one you get MCP status but not MCDST. The book for 70-272 is virtually impossible to get hold of, but if you can somehow aquire a copy of the CD there is a pdf copy of the book on it.

5. CombatRock

CombatRock Bit Poster

Firstly i would like to thank you all very much- as you know i am new to these forums, but have been a member of many in the past- these are some of the finest forums for decent, full replies.

Secondly, may be a silly question but what is the nuggets video and where do i get it, is it on the disjk that will come with the book?

6. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  7. CombatRock

CombatRock Bit Poster

so i have to pay for it ? :( lol

CR

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The best study tools aren't free. You generally get what you pay for.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you find free stuff always use www.certguard.com and put the URL in the braindump seach. Certguard will tell you if the site you find or is a braindump. If you dont know what a braindump is then it is illegal content that can have serious actions taken against you. If you value your certifications and IT future do not use them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Check out the link about what you need to know for the MCDST at the top of this forum. Lots of info for you there even if its a bit dated.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

My heart bleeds for your lack of time.

I work two jobs, I also help care for my Mother I have a maximum of 6 hours sleep a night and I still find an hour or two a day to study. If I can find the time you can too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. AjP

AjP Bit Poster

Alot of companies pay for the training CD's or a streaming membership for their employees

http://www.cbtnuggets.com/series?id=280

Unfortunately they are an extremely useful resource but it comes at a cost