Thursday morning and another server disaster

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Davidh1819, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

ok just when i thought it was all over its not!

i got a call when i got up from my line manager the servers crashed i get in and have a look it hangs on applying computer settings once i log in the explorer does not respond and most applications wont run and everyones downstairs complaning. and the engineer is 100 miles away some where and told me to install server 2003 on a spare machine untill he gets back and use that for the time being when will it all end arrrhhhhh :x:(

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

When they train you up in the skills you need to do the job they are making you do.

Oh, and when they fire that muppet technician.

Keep pushing for more training, this gives you even more ammunition. If they had trained you up you could have got the server back up and running rather than having crippled running till the tech returns.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Blimey! Sounds like your manager is really trying to p*ss on your chips!

I hope once it all calms down you get the recognition you deserve. Alas us IT folk are all clobbered with the same stick. They all expect the IT department to have a problem resolved yesterday.

Hang in there, it's a tough time for you right now, but as BosonMichael said in your previous thread, the knowledge and experience you are gaining right now is invaluable to your career.

Chin up big lad. :)

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The fun of working in IT I call it or not, well it's a good learning curve:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well on a more serious note have you had a look at the event viewer as well as services if possible.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Is it the same 6 year old server that's keeled over again?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

yes i have told the MD we need a new one his reply was his socks are 6 years old and they still work!

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Has the MD been complaining about the amount of downtime because of these problems? If so, get together with your line manager or his manager if he's not willing to help and put together a case for why you need a new server, citing the problems you've been encountering this week and any other examples that are relevant from past issues.

Then present him with it, just try not to fill it with too much jargon. Then see what happens. :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Thing is, none of these issues appear to be hardware related...

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Not on the surface no, however a 6 year old server could cause problems.

11. danielno8

Yeah i know it could cause problems, but i don't think its causing any of these.

12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

There could be past hardware issues that we're unaware of, I'm sure David wouldn't go to the MD and ask for a new server if it could be solved with a software patch. :wink:

13. danielno8

David has already said he doesn't have experience to troubleshoot this, so i don't know how he would know its a hardware problem ;)

And from hsi earlier thread it was apparently a sofwtare patch that f***** things up, so in a roundabout way, yes it could be solved by a software patch (not being applied)

:)

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm talking the bigger picture here, not just these 2 issues that David chose to share with us.

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dude... you shouldn't be complaining. This is your opportunity to shine! Take it for what it is and do the best job you can. Because, ultimately, your job isn't to sit on first line and do mundane work... your job is to support the company doing whatever is asked of you.

Most first line techs would cut off their right arm for the chance to be allowed to install and configure a server. Run with this opportunity, mate. Never know when you'll get this chance again.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

QFT.

I once had a server fall over on me at 20:05 on a Sunday night, with over a hundred trainees due to attend the site (training and hotel complex) the Monday morning. Had to work through the night to get the server rebuilt. Stress but fun... as Craigie would say "Get balls deep". If you see error messages, Google them. If you need to ask questions, ask them. One piece of advice: document EVERYTHING you do.

Best of luck! Oh, and welcome to IT. :D

17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Plenty of red bull consumed then? :D

18. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Too long ago for Red Bull mate. Loads and loads of black coffee and adrenaline. :)

19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Number 1 - he's a soapy get if his socks are six years old.
    Number 2 - his socks aren't quite as technically complex as a server.
    Number 3 - he sounds like a complete pr1ck.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  20. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

i successfully installed server 2003 on a spare desktop with out assistance transfered the file shares over i left transfering Active directory and installing exchange till the egineer got back so i got peoples internet and file shares back now i have a tempoary server running and its going smoothly

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010