Three-strikes law banned in France

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Jun 12, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Three-strikes law banned in France

French law designed to disconnect and ban users from the Internet at the request of rights holders has been deemed unconstitutional by the French Constitutional Council. The law known as the HADOPI law (Higher Authority for the Distribution of Works and the Protection of Copyright on the Internet), backed by President Sarkozy and the entertainment industry, was based on the three-strikes principle. The agency would first send a warning e-mail, then a letter and finally cut off the connection for a year if users were found to be illegally sharing files. A similar rule was considered in the UK for the Digital Britain report but rejected by Lord Carter to be replaced by what is expected to be traffic management instead of being disconnected.

Full story : here

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. JK2447
      JK2447
      It must be difficult to find ways to tackle these pirates. Rather them than me, good article :blink
    2. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      you mean, apart from punishing the law abiding citizens who actually pay for their products?

Seems to me they have that aspect of it nailed pretty well. All they need now is a semen sample to watch your dvds, and job done.
    3. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      You mean I didn't have to send off that semen sample? These dam phising scams ! :biggrin
    4. JK2447
      JK2447
      Ha ha well your both crazy, I didn't have to send that sample off because I put my credit card details and pin number in with a photocopy of my passport. Man you's would fall for anything . . . . . . :lol: