Resolved Thought I would put down workstation and pickup ESXI (although having issues)

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Asterix, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Guys,
    I haven't really touched Vmware before (apart from workstation) so please excuse my limited knowledge. I was so bored at work today that I went home and brought in my ML110. I have installed ESXi 4.1 not the HP flavour....... which doesnt work with a G5 as I have already found out the hard way (PSOD) :oops: but Im unable to conenct to this server from my work laptop, please see the steps i have performed below:

-Installed ESXi4.1 on ML110
    -Hit F2 (customise) and set password (username: root, Password: password)
    -I ensured the Interface was 'Enabled' and 'Auto config' is used (ip: 192.168.192.54, SM: 255.255.255.0, GW: 192.168.192.1)
    -ESXi screen informs i can "download tools and manage host from: http://localhost/, http://192.168.192.54/ (dhcp)"
    -Confirmed i can ping server IP (192.168.192.54) from my laptop (192.168.192.37)
    -Using the Vsphere client (i have used before to successfully connect to the work ESXi test environment) i attemped to connect to ESXi server using the following credentials:
    Ipaddress/name: 192.168.192.54
    Username: root
    password: password
    (left checkbox for "use windows credentials" clear)
    -Receiveing error "vSphere could not connect to "192.168.192.54". a connection failure occurred (Unable to connect to the remote server)"

Its prob something really easy but i thought i would see if anyone can assist me at this point, as i seem to be going in circles!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I think you need to download the updated vSphere from VMWare's website. There was an issue with it if you had Vista/Windows 7.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Oh Yeah i forgot to mention i was using a Win7 box, Ill give that a go, keep fingers crossed

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Did you enable lockdown mode?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

My current vSphere client is 4.1

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  6. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

No sure what that is :blink
    Edit: the option for lockdown mode is greyed out!
    Is this correct? im not sure how i could change this either!

7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Any funky security software on the client that your connecting from?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Erm, nope, the only applications I imagine could cause issues (that I have installed) are McAfee AV and Win7.

Can i clarify something? Where are you supposed to get the install for the vSphere client? I have been searching the net for this and finally found 4.1 and reinstalled although just has a thought that you should be able to download from the actual VSphere server by typing the address/ IP (in my case http://localhost/ or http://192.168.192.54) into a web browser, i have tried that and get a 404 'page cannot be displayed' error (although i can still ping) am i barking up the wrong tree?

9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I seem to remember after i installed esx, i had to reboot the server before the page you are talking about worked, despite network connectivity being up. Since this page isn't working, i'd suggest it's no surprise you also cannot connect using the client. You are correct in that there is a link to download the client from that page.

Also, can you not assign a static address to the ESX host rather than DHCP.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  10. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I have assigned it a static IP (on server) of 192.168.192.55 (havent got access to make this a static assignment on the DHCP scope :S) and i can now access the menu from the web browser! Bring on the IP conflicts :twisted:
    Thanks guys! time for a play! 8)

11. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Thanks guys, don't know why this wouldn't work with DHCP but as I have no real requirement for auto IP assignment in my test environment I can use a static IP as a workaround. It will be interesting to see I can get the VM IP's via DHCP!
    How do you change thread to resolved?? :blink

12. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Don't you just edit the first post and change it to resolved? And click the scales beside dans post :p

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  13. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Editing the first post didnt seem to help! The scales bit worked +1 :D

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You have to go into advanced edit mode and that may not have been available to you at the time, so i have done it for you :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Thankyou!