This is uninitentionally hilarious

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zebulebu, Jun 17, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'm sorry to any Americans here (Mitzs, BM, Trip et al) but this video is exactly why the rest of the world takes the piss out of Americans abroad. Honestly - I know the British aren't exactly considered perfect tourists, but this vid is so representative of the ignorance of so many Americans that come to Europe it's uncanny.

I was laughing my head off at some points - not knowing how to speak Spanish yet going to Spain on your own, going to Europe's answer to Wet N' Wild instead of seeing what is arguably one of the most varied and beautiful countries in the world, not understanding that there is a time difference between mainland Europe and the UK - despite there being three different time zones in the continental US, etc. etc.

I still don't quite know whether or not this is meant to be a parody...

Oddest thing about Americans abroad is that I used to know a Texan (from Waco, of all places) who was the most journeyed and well-read person I've probably encountered, and he said that the legends about the low percentage of Americans who own passports, although exaggerated in many cases, are broadly true, and that this is why they are lampooned as being ignorant of anything outside their borders. BM - you're ex-Military, right? You must have served outside the US - what's your take on it? I would have thought that things might have been getting better in the past few years, but it seems like, if this poor soul is representative of US visitors to Europe, perhaps not :D

BTW - her journey from Durham to Newcastle sounds uncannily representative of the public transport network in this country :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em