This is the reason why i will join James Thornton Student Campus!!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by SFIDANTI, Jul 21, 2007.

1. SFIDANTI

SFIDANTI New Member

Hello guys!

I read most of your threads , questions and answers about different institutes that are available in UK. I wrilly dont belive them so much because they are so good with students . When you are there it seems like you are in heaven. Dont pay son..study free.. exams free..lots of jobs vacancies waiting for you...etc. Anyway I tried to contact most of them to figure out what they offer and i found that James Thornton Student Campus is a choice that i am thinking to go..and i can tell you the reasons:

1. I am foreigner and i need visa to stay in UK and they promised me that they are going to extend me the visa for two years because that is the period of training with them. The whole course is two year which 4 months are campus learning and the others are online or self training using their facilities at the campus.

2. I dont have any financial source to cover this huge amount of money that these training centers are asking.. the cheapest one is around 3500£ for MCSE . What they offered me at James Thornton Student Campus is that you dont have to pay nothing for 2 years. After 2 years you have to pay 200 £ monthly if not they will put the money in interest by 6.5%. I think that everyone after completing MCSE will make those money or at least after two years will be able to pay 200 £ per month.
    The whole course is 8000 £ and they give you 1000£ in advance to cover travel expenses..and put here what is included in that 8000 , 1000 £ for exams and another 500 £ for the books so its not so much.

3. I hate self-study ..its my personal opinion . I cant go further than 2 weeks with self-study. The benefit of the class is because you try with other students and get motivated from them if you see them that are stronger than you you will get motivated to study more and more. From other students you will learn about different challenges and will create your career network with them. When you study in a class you think that you are responsibile and you hate being weak and being dummy in front of others. After that if you you dont know or got stucked in any problem you have who to ask and you benefit from the mistakes of the others. I think self-study is wrilly boring.

4.They promise a job after 4 months training and maybe they will may they will not. I can say that its a promise not to hope but its a plus in my job hunting struggle so i will go on looking for job myself but i got something where i can wait something is like the last bullet. They are a big company and i dont think that they are gone fail or go bankrupt because they have a lots of other businesses runing.

5. I got 5 years experience in IT so i know how to get most of this training center. I know what i am gone study and what i am gone take from them.

Please after having a look to these opinions tell me what do you think .. your opinion is very usefull for me because its my 5th month here in england and this is the conclusion that i reached from this period of staying unemployed and in job hunting struggle.

Best regards

2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

To me all your points are reasons NOT to go with a training company! What's worse then being unemployed?? Unemployed and in debt!!!

To be honest you'll have a lot of self study to do even with a training company - that is unless you'll cheat to get through the exams???

You say that you already have 5 years experience in IT, so why get into debt to get qualified when you could apply your knowledge to the self study route?? You have all the people at Cert Forums to help you if you choose this option - self study doesn't mean you'll be on your own!

As for jobs, a friend of mine is Croatian and he arrived in this country 6 years ago. Yes he found it difficult to get a job but after 6 months he landed a helpdesk job on contract. Ok the pay was not good but it was his first step! He studied for his MCSE with a training company - they ripped him off and left him 3000 pounds in debt! He the pursued the MCSE on his own and passed within a year. Fast forward to today and he now has dual nationality and his earning £32,000 a year as a System Admin for a finance company in Birmingham!

So there you go - it can be done! Training companies are good if you're being sponsored but in your position it's very risky as you could be financially ruined! Not a good idea if you're trying to get established in the UK!

My advice to you: apply to various agencies on www.jobsite.co.uk or www.jobserve.co.uk for contract Helpdesk roles! These roles can pay in excess of £11 an hour and you could end up getting a permenent IT role in desktop support etc! You have to give it a go! IT experience is worth more then an MCSE...believe me!!

Good Luck

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

My opinion? Getting yourself £8000 in debt is CRAZY!!!!!!

A promise of a job in four months? Nonsense.

If self-study isn't for you: In the UK there are Further Education Colleges that offer training much cheaper than this. Try them first.

Getting a job in IT is hard, and will take time: but panicking and signing up for this company will be a disaster for you.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you have 5 years experience in IT then surely there are plenty of jobs you can apply for just now?

Your third point is bizarre; you should be motivated without having to be surrounded by other students. The promise of a job is questionable to be honest.

You said you are unemployed then surely this is a ideal opportunity for self study as it costs far less than any training provider and you have the time to hit the books. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you have 5 years in IT then why do have to get yourself in £8000 debt thats mental.

Any company that says they can guarantee you a job after/before/whilst training with them is talking bollocks to be honest.

If you already have that much experience in IT then qualifications aint gonna do anything apart from you give a slight advantage over your compotition when going for interviews.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. nekky

nekky Bit Poster

hi sfidanti,

I'm afraid the package is too good to be true and even £8000 in debt does not even sound good enough.

Just a few points:

- You say you dont like self study but thats exactly what you say you will have to do after the first 4 months of campus based study.

- No one can promise you a job unless they will be employing you themselves.

- As mentioned above, you should atleast be able to get an entry level role with 5 years experience in IT, So what's stopping you? Have you applied for any jobs so far? As everyone else will tell you, certification is no qurantee for landing a job.

I could be wrong but I suspect you are going with them because of the opprtunity to extend your visa but... £8000 is a very huge price to pay. You could try to find a company that will make use of your multilingual and IT skills as they will be more willing to extend your visa.

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290 ...for now
  7. Zid

Zid New Member

This looks like a pathetic attempt at an advert if you ask me.

Certifications: GCE-A Level
    WIP: A+ MCDST
  8. SFIDANTI

SFIDANTI New Member

Thank you very much for your advices and i got another thing to ask you about it guys..so please give me some help and some hints to sort out this second problem that i have while i am here.

The problem is that my 5 years experience that i have in different IT fields for example i got 3 years experience in graphics designing and video editing(Photoshop,Illustrator,InDesign,Premiere,After Effects), 1 year troubleshooting and maintaining(a+ & network + ), and 1 year database and website developing (oracle 8i & dreamwaver so its like a mix salad and the problem is that i jumped from a technology to another one because i traveled so much and i worked in different fields of IT as i mentioned before. My problem now is that i want to find a job here but i went through the deep search with agencies and websites but nothing until now its my 5 month that i got only some calls and thank you for applying letters. While i was in job hunting stage i found that most of people repply to adds that offer website and graphics designing jobs and less than that for technical jobs and less less than those for software developers so i thought to go for technical career here in these country. I know that its gona be a tough competition in this field also but at least my CV and my cover letter will reach some employer desk. What i need from you guys is to give me some hints what is better for me to go through it , i mean to begin with, and build my future career based on that...
    I think most of you guys got this problem jumping from one field of IT to another ..so how did you sort out to choose that this is the best choice for me ...

9. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

I can't do anything about the visa or the job, but I can point you in the direction of some learning materials to help you achieve your certification goals. They are absolutely above board and no cheating will be involved.

The cost to you is a paltry £2456.99

If you care to PM me I'll be happy to take your money and point you at the correct resources.

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  10. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

And I've got this bridge for sale in London if you're interested....

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Look don't take this the wrong way but with 5 years of experience you can get yourself a pretty decent job in IT.

Getting yourself in debt of 8000 plus a potential interest on top of that could really hurt you financially and credit wise. If you say you have 5 years experience you must know IT pretty well and I am sure you are capable of doing the self study yourself.

If you say its boring to self study well the question is how are you studying? are you just reading a book and taking notes? are you actually trying the hands on approach?

Personally I agree with you that at times it is boring, I've been there but you don't have to study every single day for hours and hours, you can study once every other day, if you cant concentrate then there a good free CBT videos online that you can watch instead to understand the material.

Also the whole idea about them guaranteeing you a job well that I don't know about because unless they are placing you in their own company thats kind of hard believe.

If its about prolonging your visa then that I can understand but its just expensive for the course it self.

The other thing that might happen is that after you finish the course is that you'll get the proper training but still wont be able to find a job leaving you unemployed and with debt.

Look I wish luck and success but that kind of debt can really hurt your credit and leave you in debt for a while.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh for f**ks sake.

Get a grip.

Have you looked through this forum and seen all the articles about James Thornton?

If you want to stay in this country, get a job at something you are good at and make a useful contribution.

Don't try and blag your way in by paying someone a lot of money for something that won't sort it for you.

Being with a training provider is not the same as being at University etc. You will NOT get a Visa, you will NOT get a job.
    You will just owe someone a lot of money, so when you do try to move here you will find you are already in debt.

:cry: :twisted:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. greenbrucelee

mwwhhaha :D

I can get you some learning materials too only £1999 cheaper than juice142 college of learning

14. greenbrucelee

LOL :D

15. greenbrucelee

LOL :D :D

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

pfffft... I'll charge only £999! And still make a profit! cha-ching! 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. greenbrucelee

£99.99 final offer :D

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sorry... can't beat THAT price! :(

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. greenbrucelee

I could probably do it for £50 download some stuff from the net edit the documents and put GBL college of learning as my header, create a very basic cd-rom with a gui (in html) and point and click info buttons and post it to client.

I reckon £3.00 for CD-r, 2 hours creating the basic gui 1 hour downloading material charge at £40 for labour £7 for postage to client.

Set up a premium rate phone line charging customer £1.50 per minute for advice with an obligotory 3 minute listen to some **** about how cool GBL college of learning is. :D

then a self made millionair I would be, or in jail for ripping people off.

Thats why i dont get how these companies get away with it.:rolleyes: