This exam will be current through December 2009

Discussion in 'A+' started by soundian, Apr 6, 2009.

1. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

That's what it says on my brand new cert.:biggrin
    I take it this means they're not retiring the 2006 exam until the end of the year.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  2. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Excellent - well I hope they don't retire it until then :)

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  3. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

That's good to hear...as I was planning to finish all this by May/June, so at least now this gives me some breathing space :D

Cheers

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would not take that at all. I did my Security+ exam (SY0-101) in July 2007 at the bottom of the exam it stated:

However the SY0-101 exam is live until July 31, 2009. Like I said, I would not read too much into that.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

My understanding of the word "through", used in this context by our transatlantic cousins, is that it means "up to and including" therefore the current objectives won't be retired until at least the end of the year. Maybe it'll be later than that, like the SY0-101 exam. No information is given on the retirement date, just that it won't be before the end of the year.

6. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

So just to clarify, we can staill take the A+ exam running on the 2006 objectives up intill the end of the year, and not up untill June/July like i first thought

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

They wouldn't retire the 2006 exam as early as that, the 2009 exam isn't active until July at the earliest (Q3). They have to overlap them as well or they'll get a few months where hardly anyone takes the exam. I'm sure their finance peeps wouldn't like that.
    So, it does seem to be saying that the earliest retirement date for the 2006 objectives is Dec 31st.

8. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Im glad of that because of my current circumstances im not able to put much study in at this moment and it was stressing me out so that extra few months is a huge relief

9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I thought you'd have at least until the end of October anyway, before I saw that on my cert.
    The Net+ has a 6 month overlap I think , and if the A+ has a similar overlap then 2006 will carry on until at least the end of the year.

10. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I'm not totally sure there is an exact overlap period stated by CompTIA, from all that I have heard and read it seems as CompTIA reserves the right to change the exam objectives at any time without warning. Now this would not be financially advisable on their part because as mentioned earlier by you Soundian no one would take the test for those first months after the new objectives took affect. However, I agree that it sounds like the end of the year at the EARLIEST.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There will be an overlap... but for how long? Could be six months... could be shorter (or longer). Just don't assume that extra time will be there... if it is, then bonus! But shoot for taking it as early as possible.

In any case, exam retirement dates should be made known closer to the release of the new A+ version.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Hiya guys,

Ive not been on this forum for a while now, mainly because of work commitments and ive not touched any study material for about 2 months now.
    I just wanted to know if anyone knew any updates of when they will retire the 2006 objectives as i have a couple of weeks holiday that i would like to get some study time in.

I just hope i can remember everything ive learnt, i was about half way thought my total study and ive made some good notes along the way so am sure ill pick it back up.

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you go on pearsonvue and book the exam you can select 2006 exam objectives so you will still be able to do the 2006 exam at the end of the year. The 2003 objectives were still current up until the end of last year if I remember correctly.

Anyway even if the exam does change it's not gonna be a lot.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?