This degree ..

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by sheepluv, Nov 24, 2011.

1. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Looking at doing this as I can top up from my HND Computing B68 - Top-up BSc (Honours) Computing and IT Practice - Open University Qualification

Do you think there would there be any issues with this not being titled "Bsc Comp Science" or are all computing degrees roughly as valuable? I still intend to do the Software track of it which is the useful experience I want from it.

Thanks

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Degree looks ok to me, revamp your CV if it bothers you and explain the details in the interview.

Maybe ask the OU if your degree can be titled Computer Science if you take certain modules ?

I'd definitely drop the 'IT Practice' part if taking the software track.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Heck, I've got a degree in BSc Computer Games Technology and I still found a job in IT 8)

Its to prove you can absorb the knowledge and apply yourself, not necessarily the content of which you learn.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Depends what you want, IT is generally easier to get into. If you want to get into software development they are going to want to know you did software development modules and can program...

Having a general 'IT degree' could hurt you in this area as some hiring managers may assume you don't have software dev skills.

The other route would be to apply for prior learning credits and then just do the level 3 modules you want to obtain a named or open degree. It would be more paperwork though for roughly the same result.

It seems no OU degrees are titled Computer Science so I wouldn't worry.

5. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

I did apply for learning credits. They gave me 215 BSC Open degree, and a measly 30 for their Computer BSC.
    As I need 145 for the Open degree (would it be called OU Open degree to?) then it seems cheaper to get the 120 for the B68.

I guess that just by getting a relevant degree it shows you have one, then emphasise the relevant bits.

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646