Thinking of taking the MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by jonnytabpni, Dec 6, 2007.

1. jonnytabpni

jonnytabpni Bit Poster

Hey guys/gals

I'm thinking of taking the MCDST. I am a UK sole trader running an IT Support business to home users. I have been working with computers for years however I have no formal Microsoft qualifications (shhuuush!! lol! :rolleyes:).

Is the MCDST the correct choice? Once I pass the first exam, will I be able to put the "Microsoft Certified Professional" logo on my leaflets?

Many Thanks

Cheers

2. no_one_here

no_one_here Bit Poster

Hello Jonnytab,

From what you say, the MCDST would be a good choice, since it covers some of the software issues you have been dealing with while supporting home users. The CompTIA A+ certification would be another good one to have, because it covers the hardware you deal with. And if you want to help deal with internet problems, some of the areas the CompTIA Network+ covers would be useful too.

Of course, the MCDST only covers MS Windows XP (and MS Office XP/2003 support), not Vista. There are new certifications for that, but you can upgrade from MCDST to Vista by taking one exam (70-621).

With regards to your MCP logo: I think you can use it on your business documents, at the bottom (left or right). You cannot combine 2 or more (eg MCDST + MCP) into one, though.

Regards

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, MCDST Network+ A+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The A+, Network+, and MCDST are all good choices. After you pass the first MCDST exam, yes, you can use the MCP logo. After you pass the second MCDST exam, you can use the MCDST logo.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. jonnytabpni

jonnytabpni Bit Poster

That's great!

So you's all think it's the right choice for my role?
    Is there a more relavent MS cert I could take?

cheers

5. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

If you are familiar with XP and are looking to get a foot in cert wise, I think the MCDST would be fine. I also agree that A+ and N+ would be a good option for you as well. Good luck!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  6. jonnytabpni

jonnytabpni Bit Poster

Could someone please tell me the format of the tests? I have both Microsoft self pace books (which are very good) however it doesn't really explain what the tests are like and quite simply, I can't afford the practice stuff.

Are they multiple choice, paragraphs etc....

And how long does it take to get marked?

Cheers

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Tests are mulitple choice, some tests have parts where you have to identify a component, some of the harder exams like in the MCSE have simulations to do. When you do the exam at whichever test centre you do it the exam result are given immediatley after you click the end exam button.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?