Thinking of taking the CCNA + CCNP course

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Isador, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

Hi Everyone,

Just as a introduction I finished university a few months ago for a BSc Computer Science degree (with a emphasis on networking). I really enjoyed the networking part of the course (be it more theoretical than hands on). I'm in a temp job at the moment in IT, but mainly technical support with hardly any networking exposure.

Therefore, in order to apply for a networking job I'm planning on taking some Cisco courses and then changing job (i'll remain in my current job to financially support myself throughout this course), and I have a few questions is someone could impart some wisdom on me please :).

First of which, with my degree involving networking modules I already know quite a bit about IPv4/IPv6/DNS/DHCP/VLAN/OSPF/RIP/IGRP etc etc etc... so how quickly do you think i could progress through the CCNA?

Also, as far as I know anyone can get the course material (books etc) and take the exams at a registered center (please tell me if I'm wrong), or they can acquire tuition. A local sixth form does tutor guided lessons, and mentions people with previous experience can skip the first module. Modules 2,3 and 4 from this sixth form will cost £950. However, considering my degree, would it just be better to get some books, know the appropriate IOS commands, and register + take the exams?

I think I may stay in my current job for about 6 months or so, depending on how quickly i progress through the exams.

I'm also interested in taking the CCNP after the CCNA, so with relevance to my current situation any advice would be most appreciated,

Thanks,

Isador.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

It depends on how much experience you are getting in Networking.

The CCNA shouldn't be done by people looking for their first IT job as it as an advanced cert meant for people with experience and it can lead to finding a job harder if the applicant does not have the required experience.

Have you looked at compTIA N+ first?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

In my job i'm getting no experience in networking but as i've mentioned I've learnt a lot of the theory from my university degree. I was even sponsored to take the CCNA during sixth form (but didn't have time to complete as I was off to uni, but i did a lot of the module 1 stuff)

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It’s difficult to land a networking job using Cisco kit. Why? Because generally Cisco equipment is used in larger companies and making a mistake can mean downtime for hundreds or even thousands of users.

Personally I would aim to get more desktop experience and then move into server admin. After that you can perhaps move into a Cisco role as you will have enough commercial experience. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would second (third?) this advice.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

Hmmm Ok. So with my fondness for networking would something like a MCTS be more appropiate? ie:

[​IMG]#

• IP addressing and services
    • Names resolution
    • File and print services
    • Network access and remote access
    • Monitoring network services

7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I would say without commercial experience, even server admin from the outset may be a bit of a far stretch, as Sparky suggested - desktop support experience is a good place to start (considering all (without fail) of our end-clients use them)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

Well I suppose I should have mentioned that I done a one year placement as part of my work experience working in IT infrastructure with a focus on support/admin, although this didn't involve a lot of network configuring etc.

9. Sparky

It rarely does when you start out in IT. Did you get near any Active Directory admin?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

Yes I used it pretty much every day for:

Network Drive access
    Application access
    Mailing lists
    Citrix access
    etc... (Also created new groups and assigned these to various things)

Although I wasn't involved with the initial set up as it was for a worldwide company

11. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

I really find it hard to understand why people think just having a certification will get them a job.

Dude get some real experience as a tech and work your way up the ladder before thinking about advanced certifcations. If I was an employer, advertising for Cisco techs I certainly wouldn't employ someone with a CCNA and no experience.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  12. Sparky

Cool, you are probably not quite at the level to get into a Cisco role just yet though. Don’t take that the wrong way though, I’m only just starting to take on networks with Cisco kit myself!

Thought about the A+, Network+ and MCDST? Then perhaps MCSA....

13. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

Why do you think im not at the level to go into a Cisco role yet? I'll have a look at the Network+. The A+ seems a bit basic and the MCSA is outdated now... (MCTS is the new one).

14. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Hmm...you have no Cisco experience??

I lol'd at that :)

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  15. Sparky

Because you have no networking experience. 8)

MCSA outdated? Are you having a laugh! :biggrin

16. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

I don't see a MCSA for Windows Server 2008.

Also, isn't it part of the point of taking a Cisco/MS certification to obtain knowledge and practical experience of associated equipment and technologies? And afterwards attempt to get an appropiate job in that area?

17. Sparky

True, how many Server 2008 networks do you see though?

Not many, but there is a shedload of Server 2003, Server 2000 and even NT networks that need to be supported making some of the older certs just as valuable. 8)

18. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

Well if I were to obtain a MS cert i'd rather go for the most up to date. Even with learning the server 2008 stuff it shouldn't be that difficult to do the same tasks on a 2003 box.

19. Sparky

Some things may be similar but there are big differences between the operating systems. Its up to you mate but some HR staff don’t even know what the up to date Server 2008 certs are yet so having MCSE, MCSA or MCP on your CV is always a bonus.

20. Isador

Isador Bit Poster

Ok fair enough I see your point. So is your reccomendation as it stands to obtain some sort of MS cert (we'll say for arguments sake, windows server 2003 MCSE) or a Network+ (although i dont see how that would differ much from a CCNA) rather than a CCNA etc? or possibly a combination of both ie CCNA + MCSE?