Thinking of Sitting the N+ (N10-006)

Discussion in 'Network+' started by l4ter, Dec 19, 2017.

1. l4ter

l4ter Nibble Poster

I passed the N+ back in 2011 however as part of a cyber security course they have asked me to sit the BCS version "Network Principles & Practical".

Which I promptly failed by a couple marks.

I am back at the revision (specifically Professor Messer of which there is 5 HUGE sections with hours of study).

Does anyone have any advise to get to the next level?

Certifications: BSc Computing, A+, N+, MCITP Enterprise
    WIP: MD-100
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Not sure what you mean if you have the N+ from 2011 why get it again or did it expire?

Certifications: A few.
  3. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Yeah, but confused by this. Thought any CompTIA Exam before 2012 gave you the qualification for life?

4. l4ter

l4ter Nibble Poster

I was told for the cyber security course I needed to have a more recent version of the n+. It's changed so much (more up to date, more relevant). In a way I'm glad I plan to do it. Just want to make sure I pass. I have access to cbtnuggets, there might be something in relation to that?

5. Jaron78

Ah I see. Check out Professor Messer, and take a look on Udemy for the Mike Meyers. That got me through the N+ comfortably.

6. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Still confused :) what cyber security course? Is it a requirement or recommendation?
    Also you mention BCS version "Network Principles & Practical" but that is not N+

Certifications: A few.
  7. l4ter

l4ter Nibble Poster

Apologies, I should clarify. I am on a Level 4 Cyber Security apprenticeship - provided by QA

https://apprenticeships.qa.com/our-courses/cyber-security/higher

They are governed by BCS (British Computer Society).

Network Principles & Practical is the equivalent of N+ - (infact that who BCS based the exam on).

It would be great if there was someone else on the same course as me on here :) or even anyone in Cyber Security.

Jaron78 likes this.
  8. Jaron78

Wow, talk about timing. I have just had a call from QA about this! How are you finding it? I am in two mind about the Network course or the Cyber Security.

9. l4ter

l4ter Nibble Poster

In my current organisation I've not had no invested training and this is a government scheme, as this came up I grabbed it with both hands as I would get 12 weeks out of work over the 18 months. Cause I'm not paying for it myself I would say it's good, however if I was paying for it myself I would want to push to complete this alot more quicker than how they are delivering it.

10. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Interestingly, a girl in accounts mentioned that none of their staff had taken up the government funded apprenticeship scheme, and I should probably ask about it or it'll go to waste.

12 weeks sounds like a lot. Is that a necessity when doing this? I don't really have any cover when my boss isn't here. (Which is quite a lot)

11. l4ter

l4ter Nibble Poster

My Boss and higher management are backing it. We are even hiring contractors to cover me, lucky me right?