Thinking of MCDST in the future

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by mattstevenson, Jan 6, 2009.

1. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Hi there,

Once again I have a question for you all. I'm aware that simply taking exams constantly, to the point that you're certified beyond your experience is dangerous, and will damage your chances of employment. However, I'm currently A+ and N+ certified. I'm already in the job at a low level (Repairing computers, setting up and troubleshooting networks). I'll be *hopefully* CCENT certified as well after this coming weekend. Would it be advantageous to me to add MCDST to that list? As I acknowledged above, moving too quickly up the ladder will damage my chances, but what about making a fatter ladder? Would having a strong base knowledge across several certs improve my chances of employment?

These are just thoughts, let me know what yours are. :)

Cheers,
    Matt.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say go for it. MCDST complements your current certs nicely, and is likewise an 'entry' cert.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

I agree with Harry, no harm getting the MCDST, good experience.

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  4. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

^ what Harry said. MCDST is indeed entry-level. I honestly don't see how it could harm your chances of moving up the ladder.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  5. mattstevenson

Thank you for your opinions. Does anybody else have a different take on this?

6. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

I felt obliged to take the mcdst to compliment the A+,as the a+ by itself looks very weak in my view,everybody can pass the A+ ,and far too many folk are now doing this certificate.Making it more worthless.
    It is a brilliant course, i'm not complaining about that,just that it leads you into a fail sense that this might be all that you need in life.

I've also heard the current A+ exam is easier than the old one,the old one focussed on dos commands and so on.

So i'd say definetely do the mcdst,i have my mcdst exam very soon,not confident of passing,it's tougher than the A+,and no doubt more respected than the A+.

The people taking the mcdst course that i've seen are miles ahead of people doing the A+ in terms of knowledge,5 years to 10 years experience was common.

There are total amateurs doing the A+ just now that don't have a clue about computers.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I also would say go for it :thumbleft

Even Microsoft says that the MCDST compliments the A+. See here (bottom of page).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. tamglasgow

tamglasgow New Member

"There are total amateurs doing the A+ just now that don't have a clue about computers"

Everyone has to start somewhere surely the A+ is an ideal starting place?

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: MCTS Exam 620 and A+ IT Essentials
  9. mattstevenson

I'd agree with that to an extent. Even that's a bit advanced for some people though.

10. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

I think, if you're going to learn and are going to try put it into practice anyone can pass it as long as they've got the ability, you can't expect to just read a book and not put any of it in to practice, i've seen the questions on the main site and although, I got only 1 wrong - it did rely on experience i'd had, can't get experience without the certs, can't pass the certs with out experience :ohmy

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator