think its worth it for me?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by shinobivsme, May 21, 2009.

1. shinobivsme

shinobivsme New Member

Hi guys,
    I’m just wondering if you think MCDST will be beneficial to me, and also what sort of pay I can expect?

basically I’ve just finished a Bsc (hons) in Computing communications (expected grade 2.1)
    before this I did a BTEC national diploma in Computing / IT practitioner (odd name I know) with a M/M/P (equiv to a B/B/C grade)

during my degree I did a placement year as a desktop support assistant which was mainly hands on with desktops and the servers. in conjunction to this I have just under a years experience of working it at two other companies. I’ve been tinkering with computers since I first got one and would say I am pretty experienced. so what’s your thoughts guys, I’m defo looking at a support role!

cheers

oh and P.S. if you think its worth my while, does anyone know a decent training centre in Leeds???

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), judging from your post and the experience you've acquired the MCDST is the right way to go. I would also start looking for a desktop support role as you can learn a lot and progress from there as you see fit.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Just got to say "M/M/P (equiv to a B/B/C grade)" MMP is not equal to BBC its equal to CCE i believe, DDD = AAA, MMM = CCC PPP = EEE

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  4. shinobivsme

shinobivsme New Member

oh really? the tutors at college always mentioned it was more akin to ABC ~ DMP allthough the 2 grading systems are completly differnt so i guess you cant really compare!

5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Yes you can though the UCAS system

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

If Desktop is the field you want then go for it (MCDST). XP will be around for awhile. You can then take the 621 upgrade exam (Vista) that will get you to the MCITP Enterprise Support cert.

If it matters to you, you will then have a cert that doesn't expire (MCDST) and one (MCITP) that will eventually expire.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you don't need a training center you can study on your own.

As for pay if you have no experience then you could be looking as low as 14k upwards regardless of what degree or certs you have.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?