Think im ready for essentials exam, how do i book it?

Discussion in 'A+' started by barryj12, Mar 27, 2009.

1. barryj12

barryj12 Bit Poster

Hey guys, i think im ready to take the essentials exam now and i was just wondering how i go about booking it, is this right?

1. go to gracetech for a voucher (how long does it take to arrive?)

2. locate a testing centre and book via pearson vue using voucher number.

3. show up and take the test.

Do i need any accounts or IDs with comptia or anything?
    What do i need to bring to the test centre with me?
    If i pass, does that go on record under my name so that i can add the 602 exam if i pass it?
    Howlong does the certificate normally take to arrive after both exams have been passed?

Sorry for all the questions, hope you can help me out.

Thanks

Barry

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: deciding my next move
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the voucher code gets emailed to you after 24hours after they have been paid by you.

you register with personvue you will find your nearest 5 test centres from your postcode.

You need some forms of ID when you go to the test center like a driving license and passport. you can take the 602 whenever you want I did both on the same day.

Your record with compTIA is basically updated straight away to say you have passed and my cert arrived 5 weeks after I passed.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Make sure you purchase an international voucher as opposed to the US version.

My certificate only took a couple of weeks but as in GBL's case they say give it up to 6 weeks.

Good luck with the exam!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  4. barryj12

barryj12 Bit Poster

thanks a million. I just registered with vue, gonna take 24 hours 1 business day before my account is activated then im gonna book it, oh thanks for the advice on international vouchers!!

5. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

You may need more than GBL has suggested for attending the test centre,take a bank card or credit card along too,my test centre required a signature on a document,a credit card was fine as proof.
    I also take my birth certificate,my passport and my national insurance number.

Take as little as possible to the test centre in terms of belongings as they ask you to remove everything, empty your pockets,drinks are allowed only in a glass,no bottles,watches are not allowed,so basically trousers and a t shirt is enough.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  6. greenbrucelee

a driving license counterpart has your signiture on it, I took my debit card and driving license as my driving license has my photo on it and both my license and debit card have my signiture.

My test center has two lockers in every test room as there are two candidate workstations so both candidates can lock their stuff away.

7. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Okay,i never drive,so i didn't know about the signature on a driving licence.

You get 90 minutes to do 100 questions in 601.

I needed about 70 minutes to finish the lot,the exam was a bit more tricky than exam 2,even if it says on the email you will be allowed 2 hours,it's only 90 minutes for this exam.

For your 2nd exam you get 90 minutes again to answer 90 questions,the 2nd exam you may finish in under an hour,the second exam is the easier of the two it seems.

8. greenbrucelee

yep its only 90 minutes the other half hour is for reading the NDA agreement and doing the questionnaire even though it takes like 5 minutes.

9. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Yes it's odd they give 30 minutes for that.

It may be confusing for new people though and they think they have all the time in the world to do the exam.

10. barryj12

barryj12 Bit Poster

cheers for the heads up on the ID guys! I will definately be sure to bring both my passport and my driving licence. I didnt know there was a questionairre to fill out, gonna book it tomorrow for thursday, this will be my first test since high school 12 years ago so im very nervous haha

11. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

When you book the test they normally send you an email with details of what you should bring etc.
    In fact, a quick search of my emails provides:

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  12. barryj12

barryj12 Bit Poster

Thanks Soundian for that! I got it booked for tues 7th april, so studying like crazy atm, cant afford to take these exams to many times so hopefully iwill pass them first time