Think I got caught by careerjobsuk

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by IrishKevin, Sep 28, 2011.

1. IrishKevin

IrishKevin New Member

Hey guys new two the forums and In need of some advice

I joined this group when I applied for a job saying IT network engineer URGENT no need of experince (should of been the first tip)

Basically they said they didn't have the job any more but were willing to offer me a course that I might be right for now they be honest it did sound good (too good sadly)

Now I never signed anything just a verbal agreement but I want out as I have the job I wanted and I can if I want get training by microsoft for free.

The main reason I want out is well I feel they aint living up to what they made me agree to.

They promised me

1)A personal tutor Barry Something i forget (never gets back to me)
    2) Acess to virtual labs (no labs what so ever)
    3) a nudge or guideance if I get stuck (only tech support /guidance they have is how to log on)
    4) They said if I fell behinde they would email/contact me to see why (nothing of the sort)

Now I don't know if they a any good or not or if they legit but I feel they aint giving what they promised and I basically want out yet they refuse to answer my emails and calls just get put to voicemail with the numbers they gave me.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm confused - are you 'in' or 'out'?
    If you never signed anything, then why would you be expecting any of the things you mention above?
    Have you paid them any money?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. IrishKevin

IrishKevin New Member

Yes I paid them 79 quid a month appearlty and I went to my bank to try and stop it and all they say is contact the company to make them stop. I can't as they won't repsond to my calls/emails or even letters they ignore them.

Sadly they will take another 79 this month as I can't stop it as they seem to be ignoring me and my bank can't do anything till they get back to me.

If it was derict debit I could cancel but they are actually using my card every month

4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

You should probably see someone from the CAB with regards your legal rights on this

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Write to them telling them that you are unhappy for them to be taking payments from your card and tell them that you have not given them any authority to do so and that any payments taken are under protest as you are not happy with the service they have provided.

Send it by recorded delivery, email, fax, whatever.

Give them 7 days to respond and say you are expecting a refund.

If they do nothing, contact your card company and tell them somone is using your card details without your knowledge and get them to cancel the card.

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You dont actually have to sign anything to be bound by contract. If you agree over the phone (during which they usually have to read out various clauses and conditions), and hand over your account details, that is considered enough.

I believe though, that in such a circumstance, they have to send you out the contract details you are signing up, and give you time to reconsider once you receive those details.

I'm no lawyer though, so I would seek professional advice. In my mind though, you are boned.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's certainly true for distance selling - you need to be sent or given your right to cancel otherwise the contract is void. However it's not clear if this particular bunch get people in for 'interviews'. Contracts agreed on-premesis are slightly more awkward.

Also very probably true...

9. TechBoy

TechBoy Bit Poster

If their not answering your emails or calls, phone the number on the back of the card (lost or stolen cards) and tell them you lost your card. Once cancelled the company cant take any payments. I had the same problem with a credit check company. It was hard to get hold of them i.e long waiting time and 0845 number, so i cancelled my card - when they phoned regarding why payment never came out, i told them i wanted to cancel it. Job Done.:)

Certifications: Comptia A+ (2009), MCDST
    WIP: Comptia Network+, MCAS
  10. IrishKevin

IrishKevin New Member

Well managed to get in contact with them just tonight and they basically said if I want to leave the course early I must pay 3k to leave. If I cancel payment they will take me to court and give me a bad name and they laughed down the phone when they said this. Which I replied and I pardon for the lagnauge I am about they use. You lot are ****ing theifing bastards and are a disgrace. I basically hung up so guess I am stuck with them for a year as they said I owe if I stick with the payment 600 quid

11. cybersister

cybersister New Member

oh dear i got stung by them too. I don't know what is wrong with me, guess being unemployed does this to you and not having any money i was totally taken in by the guy. I gave him my credit card details and after which i looked at the course details to see that the course was a year long and not 2 months as the guy promised. I should have known not to give out my card details i don't know what is wrong with me. I wished i had googled it first and i would have seen this forum. I have sent the guy and email but no doubt he won't come back to me. I called my bank and said that i think i have been scammed, but they same they couldn't stop the payment and that i would need to get in contact with the guy and ask for my money back. I have since emailed him and will try calling him tomorrow. If there is a 7 day cooling off period then i should get a refund, but if it is a scam company i might not. My bank said if i don't have any luck getting the money back they will pass it over to their fraud department to deal with. Oh dear what have i done. Unemployed and forking out money I don't have to a scam company. Will keep you all updated. Good to have forums like this so others can be alerted.

12. IrishKevin

IrishKevin New Member

Basically the same thing happen to me only difference is my bank refuse to do anything unless they say they will refund me the money..............Like that is ever going to happen.

My bank basically said to me its your own fault for giving him the details(Which is true) but I expect them as a bank to try and help me not just throw me to the wolves.

Useally I would check these things but being unemployed made me job for joy for the chance that I might get a job so I went for it. They know what they are doing preying on the ones out of work making them think they are the big shots that can get them the work they want but its all smoke and mirriors.

My last hope is CAB if they can't see a way out I guess I am stuck with them for 9 more months..............Lesson learnt never and I mean NEVER take a deal that seems to good to be true because if it that good there is a catch.

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No, you aren't.

Places like this exist because people get desperate and suckered into sime kind of agreement that they think will make their lives better. When they realise it won't, they just roll over and accept that they made a bad decision.

Meanwhile, the company sits there laughing - raking in money for a service that they don't have to provide and not having to put up a defence other than an aresy phone call and maybe a threatening letter or two.

If they have made any misrepresentations when roping you in, or if they failed to provide a service with due care then YOU take THEM to court. Ask yourself - who is it going to hurt the most? Not being rude, but you've resigned yourself to losing your money anyway, and if you lose as a claimant, so what? You may have to pay the court fees, but they are a fraction of what you stand to gain if you win. It's worth bearing in mind that if THEY lose and are found to be using underhand tactics, then not only do they have to refund your money, but their entire business practice could be labeled 'unfair' in public. Most companies who know that they are on thin ice would rather do anything than risk this from happening.

The most important thing to have on your side is credible evidence. If they are not responding to calls or emails, make sure you have records and copies of everything you've done. It won't be good enough to say 'they never return calls'. Make sure you have a diary. If necessary, get a witness - ask somone else to call them for you, whatever.

You can get out of this, but not if you roll over and let them get away with it.

Most importantly I must point out, you need to be in the right. If they can prove that they supplied all the things that you signed up for and you just couldn't be bothered to do any work, then it all becomes harder.

But I've heard this story so many times, there must be something in it.