Things picking up over there?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by noel123ie, Sep 9, 2009.

1. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi all,

Im based in ireland but starting to read where the UK is starting to pick up manufacturing and housebuilding

Is this being reflected in IT jobs yet?

Bit early Im guessing but just wanted to check

Thanks
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think 'picking up' is the political phrase for 'getting worse slower than before'...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. d_mcgrail

d_mcgrail Nibble Poster

In term of my job in a manufacturing sector i wouldn't say things are improving just yet. Perhaps just a settling period after the decline in the market.

In terms of IT generally I have had a few more calls about jobs else where but all contract positions so make of that what you will.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Taking a xmas break
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

It will be a while still.

Right now most companies know that there's a pool of talent out there without jobs, and whilst I do see a fair bit of hiring going on, most companies ask HR to propose lower salaries whenever possible for the jobs which they're looking to fill in.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hello.

In the next few years I might be looking to move to Ireland (personal reasons). How's the market there these days? Any sign of recovery yet?

Have a few connections in the Co. Dublin area who say it's still in bits as far as IT goes.

What's the story?

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I haven't seen much pick up on the job market front here in the south-east many jobs advertised are still in the education or careering sector.

We have seen the housing market start to pick, seems to be a lot more interest, up which is a good sign.

pubs and clubs seem to be struggling , esp rural , due to people spending less on nights out.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  7. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Ireland overly depended on construction much more than UK so our recovery is 2-3 years behind UK

Spoke to recrutiment companies who say things are picking up but have to wait 3-6 months to see if this will continue

If you need any specific info please pm me

Certifications: MCSA Sec+