Things like this, makes me disgusted

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Why does nobody clear the paths outside their homes? Yup, it's all down to health and safety

Is this the culture that we in the UK approve of? I'm sick of this, it seems that now-a-days common sense is in short supply and that we are penalised for trying to help.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Know what you mean Ken. We seem to be moving more and more to a culture of taking legal action over anything; common sense has gone out the window :rolleyes:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Kitkatninja

IMO the UK is screwed if this continues :x This is just one step to not wanting to live here anymore... Which is sad.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Oh bugger! really!, I spend a few hours last night gritting, clearing snow and ice along a 100ft of road outside my house in the hope that my neighbors might see the sense and give me a hand. Not a single one of them came out.

Obviously either too lazy or "celebrity f***wits in the jungle pop dancing" was on the idiot box. I think I will go out and put all the ice and snow back onto the road, let them crash in a ball of snow, ice and fire.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

We're all screwed.

So, if the postman falls over on the drive and he sues me, can I argue that I hadn't invited him to be there in the first place? Or do postmen have rights of passage everywhere?

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Sillyness. every year when it snows i clear the snow and grit it aswell for both of mine and neighbours drive.

7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Are there any houses available to rent next to you? I could do with a neighbour like that :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. cisco lab rat

You owe a duty of care to anyone that comes onto your property, so if they slip on the snow on your drive you are liable. It's called "occupiers liability"

If a gentleman of the night donning a stripy jumper breaks into your shack and then has an unfortunate accident on a roller skate etc, etc you are still liable as you also owe a duty of care to trespassers, it called "trespassers liability"

Doomed we are all doomed.

Joe

9. Kitkatninja

It's a case of damned if we do, damned if we don't...

-Ken

10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

we just damned, full stop!

11. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

It used to be a UK thing, cleaning your path then the path in front of your house, all your neighbours would do the same, me and my mates were talking about this yesterday, it is a dying art....

I may be about to open a can of worms here but is this sue me, blame culture a result of the influence of our friends over the pond in the US?

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  12. cisco lab rat

I suggest a new forum called "Grumpy old men", I'd post the paint clean off my key board!!!

13. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Perhaps the UK could adopt the Canadian approach? I used to live in Toronto and lived in a townhouse in the downtown area. As part of the lease agreement, etched right there on the page in black and white was an agreement that clearing the sidewalk area that spans the width of your home MUST be completed daily by tenants. The same applies for homeowners incidentally.

The law states that if you don't clear the sidewalk outside your home and someone is injured because of it, YOU are liable.

Sure it was a pain on the cold, dark mornings to have to do it but the thought of getting sued if you didn't was enough to spur you outside with a shovel.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  14. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

but in that case, who determines you have actually cleared it? who determines if you have actually cleared it enough? would the person have fallen if you HADN'T have cleared it?
    UK H&S at its best.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  15. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've been thinking this country has been fecked for a while and this is a prime example of it!

That said, we were discussing this at work today and decided we would clear our neighbours, and he ours - we then have plausable deniability as they would have to prove that you cleared it.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293