they say bad luck comes in threes

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by fiddy, Nov 3, 2006.

1. fiddy

fiddy New Member

hi guys (and gals)
    just thought i would take a moment to confirm that the old saying "bad luck comes in threes" seems to be true in my case

bad luck 1- was waiting for ages for a game on the xbox,its finally released so i get it,sit down on my settee get a beer out,put game in then clunk clunk clunk then error message basically saying the hard drive is broken in my xbox nice one i thought

bad luck 2-move my main pc from one room into another switch pc on alls good,switch on next day it wouldnt boot just a disc read error and a message telling me to put xp disc in and repair operating system,fine i thought no problem,tried the disc get message saying hard drive is riddled with errors.
    no matter what i tried hard drive error kept being the answer,

bad luck 3-after bad luck 2 i thought ok ill use my spare pc till i can get round to sorting pc 1 out ,switch it on and low and behold exactly the same problem as the other pc

could i just ask for some of your opinions on this as i cant believe that all that happened within 3 hours of my day
    am i missing something regarding the pcs as to why they simply wont work anymore or has that old saying really come true in my case lol

any kind words would be highly appreciated

Certifications: a+,n+,ccna
    WIP: Mcdst
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yikes dude...that is some serious bad luck...I dunno where to strat?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

There been any power surges in your area, or has someone snuck an industrial magnet into your house?
    Seems a bit odd that 3 seperate devices are all having problems with their hard drives. Or is the Xbox giving you a disc error from the DVD rom drive?
    Really shitty luck tho fella, I feel for ya!

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I was going to suggest a power surge as well.

If the Xbox error is on the CD drive, I remember an ongoing problem and work around in that area. If you confirm it is the optical drive and not the hard drive and have a root around for some more info. If the hard drive is cacked, it's only a standard 8GB IDE drive so you could put it in a PC and try some recovery software on it or simply replace it.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. fiddy

fiddy New Member

hi again it was definetly the hard drive of the x box that was faulty but because i had it modified about a year ago i have to replace the motherboard as well as the hard drive,still at least i know what to ask santa for now lol so if you see a santa coming out of pc world with his arms full and looking weighed down hes just sorting my requests out ok guys

6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Don't understand why you'd need to replace the mobo as well.:blink

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Are these three things networked together? If so, there is a slight chance that a virus or some nasty has infected them but that is pretty unlikely.

It does sound like you have had a really bad run of luck mate, what a bummer!

You could try chkdsk /r from the recovery console or you can do the same using BartPE (a bootable stripped down XP CD). That has saved my bacon a few times recently when a 'repair' failed.

Just google BartPE.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I'm with Baba on this. I assume by modded you mean chipped to run unsigned code? You've done the hard part already so you should just be able to replace the hard drive. Take a look at the tutorials on http://www.xboxscene.com/xbox-tutorials.php for instructions on how to do it.
    FAO Moderators: Please feel free to review the link, the site focuses on modding consoles to run homebrew/emulation/linux etc.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  9. fiddy

fiddy New Member

hi again thanks for your tips and advice,pc is up and running again now (one new hard drive later),so i got off lightly with it in the end,thanks for the link regarding xbox will have a butchers and see whether i can get it sorted
    thanks again:D