Thermal paste

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 24, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I was watching one of my RSS video blog feeds the other day, and in it they built a PC from scratch.

What I found strange is they did not add any thermal paste to the CPU before applying the heatsink and fan :blink

Is this a new thing or what?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, it's not a new thing to be a doofus when putting together a PC. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee

Thats what I thought all he did was pull the lable of the CPU put it in and placed the heatsink on top, he also wasn't wearing an ESD wrist strap.

4. BosonMichael

I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn a wrist strap. I take reasonable precautions, and that's about it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. greenbrucelee

he didn't even touch the PSU and there was no ESD matt in sight, the only precaution he took was when he installed the ram and cpu as the mobo was placed on an anti static sheet.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Best practice says to use ESD precautions when working inside a PC and when I write about PC maintenance and repair, I *always* make the best practice recommendation. That said, if you touch the metal frame of the PC prior to putting your hands inside, you'll equalize the static potential and in all likelihood, be able to safely work upgrading RAM, adding a CPU, and so on. Or to quote Scotty, "A good engineer is a wee bit conservative, at least on paper...".

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. greenbrucelee

ha ha I like to be extra careful, I know most people just touch the frame of PSU I do that aswell as wearing a wriststrap, I would be gutted if I had bought some expensive components and they got destroyed because of ESD.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, I only bought a wrist strap because a contract agency that had hired me to do a server upgrade for a client said the client insisted on the precaution. While I would not want to hose one of my own PCs I'd feel even worse if I fried someone else's.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. greenbrucelee

Yep it wouldn't look good on a work report if its said you'd destroyed a clients PC or Server because you weren't careful. When I was Uni one of the guys in my class was trying to find the on button on a desktop computer (on this model it was at the back) unfortunatley he flicked the voltage switch on the PSU by accident then found the on button :D The lecturer wasn't to impressed when the newest computer in the classroom went up in smoke.

Thats why I am always careful before I do anything, I check the layout of the PCs I have worked on before starting and take extra special care with ESD.

10. BosonMichael

I wouldn't touch the PSU itself... I usually touch the metal case, or better yet, some other metal object that's not connected to the PC.

I agree with Trip... when I am creating documentation for others (written or recorded video), I *always* stick with "best practices".

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Quite a few coolers (especially retail ones that come with the chip) already have a pad on them which is some type of thermal compound. Not usually much good, but better than nothing. Could have been that maybe?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. greenbrucelee

So that could have been the lable he took of the CPU with some cooling on it.

13. BosonMichael

Yep... that's a thermal pad. :) He's good to go (though I usually remove the thermal pad and put on Arctic Silver 5).

14. greenbrucelee

I've heard Artic sliver is the best paste, is that the same with coolers too?

15. BosonMichael

Arctic Silver doesn't make coolers... you might have them confused with Arctic Cooling.

I've got an Arctic Cooling HSF in my box... sitting on top of the layer of Arctic Silver I put on my C2D. :)

16. greenbrucelee

cheers for clearing that up.:D