Thermal compound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, May 6, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Is Artic sliver 5 the only one I should consider getting or are other brands ok?

Also here is a statement about another thermal compound I have been looking at: As NT-H1 spreads very well under pressure, there's no need to smear it over the heat-spreader. This reduces both the consumption of paste and the time spent on the installation process: Put one drop of NT-H1 onto the centre of your CPU, install the cooler and that?s it!

:blink I thought you were supposed to spread it going in a circular motion from the centre of the CPU, thats how I have done it in the past.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm sure there are other good ones... but Arctic Silver 5 is the only one I would consider using.

The application directions are different for each CPU. For example, you would apply it differently to an exposed core as you would an enclosed core. The Arctic Silver web site will tell you the proper way for your CPU. If I remember correctly, for my Core 2 Duo, they say to put a drop the size of half a pea in the center of the CPU and then apply the heat sink... no spreading required.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee

I'll get some Artic silver 5 on your recommendation. I'm upgrading my C2D 2.1GHz to C2D 3.0GHz along with getting a better graphics card in preperation for Far Cry 2 :p

4. Crito

Crito Banned

Wikipedia has all the info you need
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grease
    EDIT: One thing they don't seem to cover is lapping heatsinks to further minimize air gaps... which is really just polishing the base.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No criticism intended GBL, but I thought this thread more relevant to the "Hardware" forum, so I moved it.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. greenbrucelee

no problem, I wasnt sure myself thats why I put it in off topic.