Theres job boards, then theres job board Apps, but are there many smart phone users?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ARM Sam, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ARM Sam

ARM Sam Bit Poster

What are your feelings about using a recruitment/job seeker App to browse jobs and help to improve your job search?

The obvious benefits are:

> Using it on the move
    > Saving jobs for later browsing
    > Having all the information readily available on your phone
    > Also the simplicity of using apps

However, are there many smart phone users out there? How would you feel about using an App as an alternative to job boards?

Shouldn't a technical recruiter be up-to-date with reaching a technical audience?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

You dont happen to have an app do you!? :dry

Certifications: A few.
  3. ARM Sam

ARM Sam Bit Poster

No, simply interested to know what job seekers thoughts are on them.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I use the job serve app. I'm not actively seeking new employment but like to have a browse and often use their app.

Your question "are the many smartphone users out there?"

I personally don't know many people who aren't a smartphone user. Especially the industry we are in!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Not sure I'd buy the idea.

There are some things that are handy to have 'on the move' - like finding the closest place to get a cup of coffee - but I'm not sure that planning a new career is one of them...

:dry

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. NZ Kris

NZ Kris Nibble Poster

I agree, and to answer the original question around 250 million smartphones were sold globally just last year, with the figure set to jump considerably this year i would say there is plenty enough smartphone users out their to warrant "an app for that" :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ 2009, Network+, MCDST, MCTS, MCSA
    WIP: MCSA
  7. ARM Sam

ARM Sam Bit Poster

The Jobserve 'connect' app? I've downloaded it and had a look, its seems like a simple to use app but i'm not sure if I like the design. It's also quite poorly rated on the app store. The Monster app looks quite impressive with a home page menu option.

I read that smart phone use is expected to match laptop and computer use within 2-3 years. So I think the market size will warrant the demand to develop recruitment based apps, but I think they have much greater potential than just as a job seeking tool.

Perhaps an innovation from job seeking apps to a 'career' apps, where you can search and browse jobs, but also have much deeper functionality, google maps integration to direct you to interview, for example?

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have the JobcentrePlus App and the IT job board app, while it it easier to browse for job on the PC/laptop. I do once in a while do a quick search on the iPhone to see what's about (depending on the day I've had) :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security