The world as you see it.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Nov 29, 2015.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So ill try and keep this post brief but I want to know how you see the world

Do you accept what you are told on the media or do you look for other sources, are you into conspiracies and the like.

There is no right and wrong answer to this, its just to gauge what you think and why you have come to that opinion.

Me personally, I think we are constantly lied to by the media and since I have realised that, I have looked into different sources of info.

So what does everyone else do ?

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

The world is controlled by an elite few, who influence everything.

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The media need to sell papers, gain viewing figures or get hits to their website etc. so many things are blown out of proportion because of this.

Just have a look at the Daily Fail....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

I actually question the intellectual ability of anyone who believes everything they read, whether that's online or offline, including hearing stuff. Sadly we live in a time where gossip is loved and people thrive on BS.

In regards to media then the media is heavily biased and also don't forget that ultimately they are businesses with their own views and agenda.

5. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

The media is absolute Bulls*it in my personal opinion.

They need to make money so will print anything that sells. Then you have the general sub-class of reporter that works for places like The S*n.

Apparenetly, according to that rag, 1 in 5 Muslims support ISIS. No actuall stats to prove it, they just fancied scaremongering and making the whole situation 10X by telling their small minded readers that all believe every word they print.

So in closing, No, I don't believe anything I read or watch from Media outlets.

6. Ce127

Ce127 Nibble Poster

Although, I much prefer getting something vaguely resembling "news" or real life events from the top few branded news sources over getting my information from the top trending topics on Facebook each day. On any given day you can load in to your Search screen on there and see only a couple real important issues amongst the absolute crap that idiotic humans are making popular and think "Is this really world news? Cardigan Kadashian Jenner wore BLUE to a premier?! F*** me, it's all kicking off!!"

Oh and apparently The Sun made a redaction / correction on their "1 in 5 Muslims" headline, but it was a very small paragraph hidden in the main paper, several days later.

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
    Jaron78 likes this.
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Jaron78 likes this.
  8. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im off work today. All I have done is watched stuff on this site

Great find DM

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  10. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

For those who aren't interested in the banal misbehaviours of plastic reality stars, but also don't find silly conspiracy theories terribly compelling, might I recommend switching to quality journalism? I recommend The Economist.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  11. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

No steel building has ever fallen down in history due to fire, twin towers collapse goes against basic Newtonian physics. The official story is the 'silly conspiracy'.

The worlds No1 superpower cant shoot down two civilian aircraft in restricted airspace ? Thousands SAM's and Fighters, they can't hit a giant passenger plane ?

Economists have some pretty silly theories too, but they refuse to give them up. Go and read some Steve Keen.

Black Flag events are not unusual. Neither is geopolitical war or terrorism.

Chavez assasination attempt, East Timor, Bolivian CIA murders, Gulf of Tonkin incident, Dr Kelley Assassination, Kennedy assasination, seems real enough to me.

Will the Economist tell you what puppet dictators and the CIA are doing ?

As an Engineer I trust physics over the words of an Economist or Politician.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  12. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

It seems we have an unstoppable force versus immovable object type of standoff (sheep vs tinfoil hats - more bloodthirsty than Pirates vs Ninjas; more primal than Cats vs Cucumbers!)

For what it's worth, The Economist doesn't really focus overly on economics, it's the newspaper that best covers world news and doesn't get caught up in trivia though.

But every economist in the world knows that macroeconomics is a patchwork of flawed theories, and The Economist does cover that quite often. As does Bloomberg.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013