Problem "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed"

Discussion in 'Software' started by jvanassen, Jun 21, 2012.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Has anyone come across the "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error before when trying to uninstall or install a program. I am getting this error when trying to uninstall Office 2010.

The reason im trying to uninstall Office 2010 is because when im trying to open an Excel file out of Sharepoint im getting the following error:

"To open this workbook, your computer must have a version of Microsoft Excel installed and your Web browser must support opening files directly from Excel in the browser."

I've looked into this share point error and it seems that there should be some addons in Internet options relating to share point, mine are not there. Gone through a number of different things to try to get this working and none have worked so thats then I decided to try re installing office as some people have said that worked for them.

So as I say I've then came to uninstalling office 2010 and am getting the error "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed"

I've tried everything aswell that people have tried to get rid of this error from making sure the service is started etc.

If anyone can come up with any ideas for solving either of these problems I would be very happy lol. I've only been at the company two weeks and share point was working fine until yesterday.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Have you tried this:-

How to uninstall or remove Microsoft Office 2010 suites

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Yea i followed that article earlier and have tried them all apart from doing it manually as im concerned that if i just remove it manually and dont fix the underlying problem of not having access to the installer service that i will not be able to re-install it as i was under the impression that you need installer service working to do installs also?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101