The UK IT skills crisis: an essential guide for IT professionals

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The UK IT skills crisis: an essential guide for IT professionals

Yes, different parts of the IT industry have at some point over the past few years experienced difficulties in getting the right mix of skills. Although a relatively small number of businesses report difficulties finding staff, many appear to be "making do" with staff whose skills are not quite right.

This can be seen from recent examples from the Video games industry, Cisco's moves to address networking skills shortages, and the news earlier in 2008 that one in three companies is reporting IT skills shortfalls. It's not just the private sector that are outsourcing to overcome the skills crisis and reduce costs, but also the public sector, as the government's CIO John Suffolk explained in a conference in early 2008.

Read the whole story here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. jo74
      jo74
      Whenever there's something about an IT skills shortage, it tends to focus mainly on graduates. How many people on this forum are studying for an IT cert and don't have degrees (though in my case I'm studying the OU as well)?
    2. onoski
      onoski
      No offence Ken, but this is not entirely true as there are a lot of skilled IT professionals still unemployed. The problem with the media at large is that they like scaremongering without much facts but speculations.
    3. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      That is true, but I believe that they are generalising as this is where they can get real figures for. However the message is the same regardless for whether or not you have a degree... Expand your skills base with both hard and soft skills. The IT industry is changing, and it's not enough just to have IT skills.

-Ken
    4. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      No offence taken mate :) True, there are quite a lot of IT Pro's unemployed, there no doubt about that. Scaremongering can work two ways... Whose up for a pay rise? As there not enough of us to go round, like they said there's a lack of IT professional's :lol: