The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Obinna Osobalu, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

The author of the phenomenally successful Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling, publishes her new book on Thursday, an event expected to spark midnight queues at shops for the collection of short stories.

Here

Cant wait to get a hold of that one....:D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I may be one of the few people that isn't a fan.

But still... each to their own.

I'm unsure as to why both amazon and WHSmiths cut the RRP by 50%. Is it really that bad? (rhetorical question)

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails-The+Tales+of+Beedle+the+Bard+-9780747599876.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0747599874/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=2882673769&ref=pd_sl_76u9kb2ptl_b

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Thanks:D for the links mate and I must really add you are missing all the buzz for not being a fan but all the same quite an impressive spirit for someone that is not a fan:p..... bout the price discounts there is definitely gonna be a rush so they are just trying to be nice with their prices in order to sell as much copies as possible. My cousins will be coming over to Nigeria for xmas, they will be bringing me a copy(just like they did with the old stories)

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Just got mine.

It's a bit small...

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Qs

It's because J.K needs the money quickly, hence why she didn't spend much time writing it. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

I just hope that even though its a bit small that it packs a punch... expecting loads of wizadry.

and hey can you give me a little sneak preview:D

:biggrin.. Qs you wouldnt blame the the lady.. afterall its christmas and you know what that means SHOPPING

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is the sort of thing that tells you if a writer is a really good storyteller, regardless of the topic, or if they only had one good topic in them and once it's gone...it's gone (think George Lucas and Star Wars).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Trip, what is it then is J.K Rowlings good?? I need to hear you say it and be careful am so very sentimental:D:twisted::x

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'm not a fan. Never read any of her books or seen any of the Harry Potter films. What I'm saying is that she had a hit with the Harry Potter books. The question is, can she continue to be successful on other books or was Harry Potter *it* for her?

This is like George Lucas and the original Star Wars trilogy. They remain a classic, both in American film making and in Science Fiction. The second trilogy, though technically superior, lacked the appeal of the first and frankly, he's a terrible director. On the other hand, there are writers and directors that turn everything they touch into gold.

Read the new book and tell us which one Rowlings is. :wink:

10. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

You know how it goes when you are fan, you are willing to take a beat down and still smile so you see I can only say that am not the right person to rate her work unprejudiced... but anyways will let you know how it goes when i get the novel:)

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm not typing it up here!

Her lawyers would have me before I hit the 'submit reply' button.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

LOL! its just this kind of scenario that we all need to avoid:p.... so i guess i just have to hang in here and wait for the delivery:(

13. Qs

*shakes hand*

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Of course, I found an old copy (1976, but the story was originally published in 1970) of Larry Niven's Ringworld a couple of weeks ago. Almost finished with it. Forgotten how much fun it is. :)

15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have tried reading JK Rowling - I really have. I wanted to understand what made her so phenomenally sucessful. And, IMO, I'm sorry - it just isn't talent. She didn't find a niche in the market, she found a gaping hole, and filled it with a series of books that she may well spend her life trying to disassociate herself from in order to establish herself as a credible author. That being said, the money she makes, she doesn't - and didn't - need to write another book.

She obviously has a passion for it - and the writing she did has obviously worked for millions. But for me, it just doesn't cut the mustard.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Nice try.. I'll pass:D

17. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I'd rather eat my own head than read a Harry Potter book or this Jeremy Beedle The Bard thing.

Still, for those who do like this stuff I hope you enjoy it! :ymca

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'm not a fan by any means but I have read a few of the books and from my view is that the Harry Potter franchise is *it* for her.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  19. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I used to think I'd hate Harry Potter and I was extremely reluctant to read the books but my girlfriend badgered me into trying the first one...

I've now read all 7 novels and loved every one of them. I'm not fussed about her writing skills, it's the story and characters that did it for me.

I've not bothered with this new book though, likewise I didn't bother with any of the Dark Materials companion books (Lyra's oxford etc.).

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I hear the current rage is "Twilight". :wink: