The Self-Congratulatory Awards 2008

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Feb 24, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

No not the Mick Hucknall Awards, I'm talking about the Oscars!

Is anyone watching these awards this evening? Backslapping, ridiculous swag bags and general Hollywood guff aside, I'll take a shot at making some predictions (though I am gutted Grindhouse didn't get any recognition anywhere. Also annoyed several other movies got no nods but oh well. Here's hoping Rambo sweeps the board in 2009 too!). I love film so I half-care about these awards, sort of.

What about you?

My predictions:

Best Motion Picture of the Year: No Country for Old Men

What I want to win: There Will Be Blood / No Country for Old Men (Tie)

Actual Result:

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood

What I want to win: Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood

Actual Result:

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Marion Cotillard for La Môme

What I want to win: Marion Cotillard for La Môme

Actual Result:

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Javier Bardem for No Country for Old Men

What I want to win: Javier Bardem for No Country for Old Men

Actual Result:

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Cate Blanchett for I'm Not There

What I want to win: Cate Blanchett for I'm Not There

Actual Result:

Best Achievement in Directing : Ethan Coen, Joel Coen for No Country for Old Men

What I want to win: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen for No Country for Old Men

Actual Result:

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen : Juno by Diablo Cody

What I want to win: Lars and the Real Girl by Nancy Oliver

Actual Result:

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published : Le Scaphandre et le papillon by Ronald Harwood

What I want to win: Le Scaphandre et le papillon by Ronald Harwood

Actual Result:

Best Achievement in Cinematography : Atonement by Seamus McGarvey

What I want to win: No Country for Old Men by Roger Deakins

Actual Result:

Best Achievement in Editing : Into the Wild by Jay Cassidy

What I want to win: The Bourne Ultimatum by Christopher Rouse

Actual Result:

Best Achievement in Art Direction : Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street by Dante Ferretti, Francesca Lo Schiavo

What I want to win: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street by Dante Ferretti, Francesca Lo Schiavo

Actual Result:

Best Achievement in Costume Design : Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street by Colleen Atwood

What I want to win: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street by Colleen Atwood

Actual Result:

Best Achievement in Makeup : Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End by Ve Neill, Martin Samuel

What I want to win: La Môme by Didier Lavergne, Jan Archibald

Actual Result:

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score : Atonement by Dario Marianelli

What I want to win: 3:10 to Yuma by Marco Beltrami

Actual Result:

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song : August Rush by Jamal Joseph, Charles Mack, Tevin Thomas ("Raise It Up")

What I want to win: Once (2006): Glen Hansard, Markéta Irglová (“Falling Slowly”)

Actual Result:

Best Achievement in Sound: No Country for Old Men by Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff, Peter F. Kurland

What I want to win: No Country for Old Men by Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff, Peter F. Kurland

Actual Result:

Best Achievement in Sound Editing: No Country for Old Men by Skip Lievsay

What I want to win: Transformers by Mike Hopkins, Ethan Van der Ryn

Actual Result:

Best Achievement in Sound Editing: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End by John Knoll, Hal T. Hickel, Charlie Gibson, John Frazier

What I want to win: Transformers by Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Russell Earl, John Frazier

Actual Result:

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year: Ratatouille by Brad Bird

What I want to win: Persepolis by Vincent Paronnaud, Marjane Satrapi

Actual Result:

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year: Mongol (Kazakhstan)

What I want to win: Tropa de Elite (Brasil) Not nominated sadly.

Actual Result:

Best Documentary, Features: No End in Sight by Charles Ferguson, Audrey Marrs

What I want to win: Sicko by Michael Moore, Meghan O'Hara

Actual Result:

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it still raining? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hehe having a lazy day today! :tune

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I quite like watching the Oscars, but not enough to do a full list of award predictions. :)

It's ashame that it's not available to watch on a free to air channel in the UK. You have to subscribe to Sky Movies in order to watch it. They show the highlights on Sky1 the day after, but it would be hard to avoid hearing the results. Wonder if it will be on the newsies for download tomorrow ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. David S

David S Bit Poster

I won't be watching the oscars and have only a mild interest in it. The thing that drives me mad though is the wall to wall coverage on the news channels the following morning. There's more important news out there.
    David

WIP: A+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm sure there are plenty of people watching them... but not in my household. I love movies, but couldn't care less who wins awards for them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Agreed. It also sickens me that stuff like Paris Hilton buys a pair of shoes at a shop makes headline news too.

I'm no major Oscars fan, but it's something to do!

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

lol...sorry mate :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  11. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Ditto.
    I'm sure the award winners are happy and all, but I care as much for them winning an award as they do for me winning a house-league championship :blink

12. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

If they actually celebrated the great achievements of the movie industry then brilliant. The sad truth is 90% of them are talentless morons who make millions for doing nothing. Then they sail through life getting everything for free.

I did notice that Pixar won best animation this year. Which in my opinion was well deserved. However the fact that they snubbed Toy Story when it came out shows they base their decisions on who's who rather than the films.

I personally own more than 400 movies on DVD and the collection is growing so why shouldn't people like me who actually support the industry decide which is the best movie? No of course not, it should be some insider who can vote for his friends...

Also I have to say it was scandalous that 300 didn't even get a mention in the technical categories.

13. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Best result of the night! So chuffed for them both! Thoroughly deserved and also an utterly excellent movie to boot!