The Road to MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jul 3, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I expect this question has been asked before but i can't find it in the Archive!

I would like to know what is the best most effective way of learning MCDST?

I expect some will say it depends on the learning ability of the individual and the circumstances. So if you were in this situation whereby you were doing MCDST by self study and had just bought these books:-

MCDST: Self-paced Training Kit: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Windows XP Operating System (Pro-Certification) (Hardcover) MS Press

MCDST Self Paced Training Kit: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on Windows (Pro-Certification) (Hardcover) MS press ”

MCDST: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician Study Guide (Exams 70-271 and 70-272) (Hardcover) sybex

Q) would you goto the MS site and download the objectives and then work though chapter by chapter in the MS books
    Q) read each book cover to cover then look at objectives on MS website and try a practice exam

Q) do a practice exam to find out how much you do or do not know?

I recieved the above books today and just can't believe how big they are, infact i don't know why people need to go to the gym when they give use MS press books for weight lifting:p :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

It is all down to your preference. Did you find that way that you studies for your A+ effective and enjoyable? if so, then that could be your route...

I had a look at the objectives before deciding to study for mcdst as i wanted to know whether 1, it would be beneficial for me and 2, how much i understood about the course, even though by looking at the objectives, i kinda figured if i knew some items. Obviously, if the majority of items in the objectives were items which i had not of heard of, then i would know that this would be new to me, and a good challenge aswell...

most people acutally recommend to do the practise test towards the time when you have your exams, around 2 - 3 weeks before, so you can fully assess your weakness (the testing application) should give you an assessment as what your weak areas may be, this may be in a form of a report or graphical structure. Myself, i did one before i even got the book, and scored a 64%, which was quite a shock, as i honesly expected to get a higher score. Only until i got into the book (ms-press, same one as you have mentioned) i realised that there is a mahoosive amount of info which i did not know about. Damn, did i feel like a bitch!

Anyhow, the normal rule applies, make sure you know your objectives, and hit a few tests before your exam to ensure you cover your weakness, and most of all Good Luck with your studies....

ps. the permissions section is a bas7ard, read that section twice, hell, i've read it 3 times, and still kinda confused!

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As you said mate it depends on the individual. Download the latest objectives before you start just to make sure the books you are using are up to date.

If it helps when I’ve been studying for each MCP so far I read through the MS Press book PDF and made notes in a word doc as I go along. Some of the material I already know from what I have picked up at work so I just read over it and make sure I haven’t missed anything.

I also have remote desktop open to a server \desktop and I`ll throw in a few screenshots to the word doc. At the end of it all I`ll have a word doc and the pdf from cramsession.com as the basis of my notes. On top of that I`ll have a look on Technet to get some additional material on some of the more complex objectives.

After that take a few MeasureUp questions, if I score well then I take the full test exam and again if the score is ok then its time to take the exam for real.

Hope this helps! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Cheeks:thumbleft :biggrin

Rep Left:rocks

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Sparky I will look into MeasureUp!

That's a good idea about doing notes in Word. For my A+ I used to write them out and then re-write them. I guess Cheeks right what ever worked for A+ should be applied for MCDST except here I can go at my own pace rather than have that expiry date in the back of my mind.

Speaking of A+ does anyone know if Professor fallken has passed?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The most effective way? Learning it on the job before brushing up for a night or two, then taking the exam. 8)

In lieu of that, I would advise studying from the books, working through any labs you encounter. If your books don't have labs, make some of your own. For example, if a section discusses user accounts, go create a user account.

When you think you're ready for the real thing, take a practice exam. Take only the first structured exam, then address your weaknesses by studying some more. Be sure to also read through ALL of the practice exam explanations, even for the questions you answered correctly. Then repeat with the second structured exam. Take the last structured exam when you REALLY think you're ready for the real thing.

Taking practice exams before you've studied is a waste of a good practice exam since a practice exam can only gauge your progress the first time you see a set of unique questions. And taking practice exams over and over until you score a certain percentage will cause you to simply memorize questions and build up a false sense of achievement and security.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Mate is that for exam 70-271 ? regarding read/write/modify/admin permissions on folders and files etc ? Or different permissions for logon accounts etc ?

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  8. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Good luck with this UCM, if u want an online study partner I am gonna be starting studying for 70-271 in the next couple of weeks.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Good question UCM - just starting 70-271 myself now and I bought the MS Press book, sybex and exam cram - all recommended from here :D

My method:
    1) Read a lesson in MS Press in full
    2) re-read, making notes on a word doc for each section, whether I know the information before or not.
    ----
    well that's as far as I've got so far.... but in the future
    ----
    3) read sybex and integrate information into my notes, and the same with exam cram - that way I can have 1 complete set of notes from which to revise from.
    4) re-read these notes, and paraphrase anything that I don't know (ie, in the A+ I knew about HDD so I wrote very little for them) into new notes - these are now my revision notes.
    5) keep re-reading them, practice the labs on my new VMware XP setup.... keep breaking it and then fixing it
    6) at some point, in the distant future, try a test exam......

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  10. Mr.Cheeks

the effective permissions

11. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Don't foget you trial 180 day XP pro & Office 2003 + exam prep software with these books (the blue ones). 8)

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Spilly:thumbleft

Rep Left:biggrin

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Mate!:biggrin

Well done on your answer...so clear and concise and well thought out! Nice one!!:biggrin

14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks mate!

Don't forget to post that thread about your new job!:biggrin

15. Mr.Cheeks

UCM - Do you have XP Pro and Office 2003? If you do, then there is no need to install these items, however, if you dont, then i would advise you to install these under a virtual machine, vmware or virtual pc...

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

All of the responses here a great UCM. Honestly each indavidual likes doing things their way so its pretty much different.

What I like to do is this:

Depending on what I am studying for, for example;

If its a topic I know quite well I would start off by doing a practice exam and depending on my scores thats how I would study for the material, in other words where I did weak I would study more, where I did well I would study a little less.

If its something that I know nothing about, I wouldn't even bother with practice exams, I would start with a right book straight from the beginning.

If during my studies I feel that there something that I dont fully understand I would turn google, or CF for a clearer understanding on the topic.

Anyways good luck on the studies UCM.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Yes I do!

18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Mate!:thumbleft