The right time for work

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Abs, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Abs

Abs Bit Poster

Hello Guys!

This is my first post. I found this page a week ago and have been reading it. And I allready seen so much more info than is offered in college and uni. I got 3 questions, please answer them i you can!

Question 1. How does the IT world really look like in term of work. I keep reading different information about how in the comming years there will be 100 000 jobs in the IT sector who needs to be filled in UK. Where some other areas say that their no future in the IT world. Whats the real truth?

Question 2.From reading this site I gather that just to have a bunch of qualifications whitout any experience in the IT world would not get you anywhere. So when is it time to get an IT job before going to the course. Im going to do an A+ now wich will finish by chrismas. And do a Networking+ in januari, wich will finsih in may. Im working in a foctory right now and these courses are evening courses. So once I finish these courses should I wait until I get an IT job or should I just keep doing more advance courses and stay in my factory work untill I get a much higher level. I know I could get an answer from the college, but I get the feeling they are just telling what I want to hear, instead of telling the real truth.

Question 3. I have also seen the companies that ofer one jobs after you do courses with them. Luckily I found this page before I fall for their offers. I see alot of you advice people to do self study, instead of these companies. But what about doing the A+ and N+ in a goverment college. They are cheaper than companies. But are they any better. I prefer not to do self study, I would prefer to have someone to ask all my stupid question:D ....Thanx Guys

2. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

Not sure if Im the best person to answer your questions as Im still looking for that elusive opertunity my-self. But i'll give it a shot

Question 1)
    I dont think anyone can give you a spot on answer for that, although I can say from my experience's living in the UK I used to work in the steel industry which I was made redundant in march, I feel that perticular industry and and manufacturing in general is dying fast due to competition from places like china.
    The Service industry is where it is now and computers will always play a big role in that so they will need people to fix them :), its just that theres a lot of other people after the same jobs so you have to be the best you can be...

Question 2)
    I would start looking at getting a IT job now, as you say most employers value experience over certs. but everything counts and that might be all the edge you need. Also look into voluntary work and look at the skills and abilitys you can bring to a new job ie communication, team-working, problem sloving etc...

Question 3)
    Im doing the self-study route as are alot of other people here, I feel I can go at my own pace and digest the material better so to speak.
    As far as colleges go here in the uk they are still quite expensive or can be compared to self-study but I guess you can at least trust them that there not gonna run off with your money. So I guess the choice is your on that one, but I deff. recommend self study for at least A+ and N+ and I would hold off on the higher end certs untill you get a job in IT ie MCSE, just focus on the entry level certs.
    One last thing never give up :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

1) Anyone who tells you that they KNOW for certain what's going to happen in the IT job market are either guessing or have a time machine stored in their garage. But what I DO know is this: if you're good at IT, then people will want you to work for them in IT. I've had one job right after another since 1987, and ever since starting "officially" in IT in 1998, I have yet to be fired or outsourced. Certainly people have been outsourced, and I'm not immune from that... but the fact is, there is ALWAYS going to be a need to have someone physically "lay hands" on a computer to make it work. And if you were that person needing assistance... would you rather hire someone who could come out and fix it today... or would you rather send your computer to India to have it fixed? There's your answer to whether there will be IT jobs in the future.

2) Get an IT job as soon as possible... meaning, now. Don't wait until you get the A+ and Network+. Those certifications are helpful in getting you employment, but they're not mandatory.

3) I always recommend self-study methods. But if you feel you MUST take a class (the money is just burning a hole in your pocket that you feel you MUST spend it on a structured course), then go for the government college option. Are they "better"? Who knows? Depends on how good the instructor is and how good the coursework is. But with self-study, we can point you to the best books to use so that you WILL have a good instructor: those books and your own hard work.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

1. Everyone's crystal ball is at best foggy and at worst dead black. No one knows what's going to happen in any industry in five years for certain. Sure, there are trends, but one good breakthrough in any field could send all predictions in the waste basket.

2. Experience is the number one requirement for almost any job. In almost every job I've ever interviewed for, the interviewer asks what experiences I've had that will make me good at the job I'm applying for. Naturally, at an entry-level job, it's not quite as critical so starting at ground zero assumes that you only know the basics and will have to work your way up from there.

3. How do you learn? We all learn different kinds of information and skills in different ways. Some people can just look at a computer, read a book, play around with the technology and figure things out. Other people respond better in a classroom and lab environment where they have a safety net in case something goes wrong. You can answer question 3 when you figure out how you learn new things.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!
    1) who knows - same with any other job, independant contractor or permanent staff - there is no job security any more :(
    2)Apply now - the earlier you start the closer to getting the job you are. You're studying already, good continue with it. Get experiences by volunteering in schools, hospitals, charities, scout groups - local IT shop (not PC world).
    3) personally, I would self-study but everyone is different. Get yourself a computer at home you can break and rebuild and getting learning.

Get yourself some experience including customer service as that always helps for 1st line roles and start applying. Don't run before you can walk - these training companies offering MCSEs and jobs are looking out for their own pockets - and won't give you the best start for your career - as its been mentioned before - an MCSE looking for a 1st line role will raise serious questions about suitability.

Good luck though - and hang around!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Question 1.

No one knows for sure, I wouldn't enter the field based on current or future market conditions, only if you have a passion for the field. There are probably many jobs, accountancy, law, doctor etc where your security will be more certain. There is no job security in IT in my opinion, but you can make up for this with talent and by being flexible.

Question 2. Never turn down a good opportunity and constantly look for them, constantly train so that your skills are sharp for the next opportunity. Do you want to do something more academic or research based ? If so the academic route is valid, otherwise theres many ways to skin a cat.

Question 3. The world is run by money largely, salemen will sell their own grandmother for a quick buck, companies will outsize to save costs. You have to realise the forces at work in the world and make the best decisions based on that. I think you also have to value what people can contribute, as they will hopefully value what you can contribute in future. There is a place for good teachers, if they can help for for a reasonable fee then why not. I think the local tech colleges generally offer a good service for a reasonable fee, normally £300-500 for 3-4 months part time tuition.