The REAL cost of Vista

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zimbo, Jan 13, 2007.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I hope this doesnt spark a war now... but i have accross this and have read parts of it.... dont know how much is true but it makes a good read... and its long be warned! so if you have time give some of it a read...

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

<shrug> So far, Vista's been pretty stable to me.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I read the whole thing and as far as I can tell the writer is amazingly knowledgeable and totally spot on.

What a shame, it seems the intention of the toads at Microsoft is to cripple Vista's potential HD Media playing performance in favour of DRM. This is bad news for all of us and I am sure that it's not wanted by your average law abiding PC user, ie their customers, people like you and me not to mention the vendors of peripherals.

IMHO they have gone too far this time but only time will tell what impact this is going to have on their market share and the success or otherwise of Vista as an operating system.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah but have you tried playing any *premium content* ie from an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disk? :blink

5. BosonMichael

Considering I don't have an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player, and don't plan to get one for many, many years, no. Nor do I know anyone who has one, neither on their computer, nor in their home entertainment center. For now, that's a non-issue for most folks.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Fair enough but these are the toys for the boys in the not too distant future, especially if people seriously want to get the best from their Media Centre experience. lets hop that by the time they become commonplace, Vista *SP2* will allow them to work at their best :wink:

7. BosonMichael

That was my thought. By the time people actually USE these things, the technology, drivers, and related protection issues will be worked out. Dare we say that one standard will be chosen over the other by then? or a third standard (either hybrid or unique) could yet emerge...

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

the DRM is not an MS call, its a holywood call, and whilst the movie industry continues to play the part of complete morons, nothing will change!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well the writer of the article stated that he thought Microsoft did not need to follow the instructions of Hollywood. He said this..

10. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Has anyone seen this months pcpro yet? Even Bill Gates has attacked DRM :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house