The Razer Mamba

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by westernkings, Aug 21, 2009.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hey guys, I just bought the above mouse and thought I would share it with you, get some opinions etc.

Firstly the specs

# Gaming Grade Wireless Technology
    # Dual Mode Wired/Wireless Functionality
    # Razer Synapse™ On-board Memory
    # Seven independently programmable Hyperesponse™ buttons
    # 5600DPI Razer Precision™ 3.5G Laser sensor
    # 1000Hz Ultrapolling™ / 1ms response rate
    # Up to 200 inches per second*/ 50g acceleration
    # Approximate size: 128mm x 70mm x 42.5mm
    # Battery Life: 14hrs (continuous gaming); 72 hours (normal gaming usage) *Depends on surface used

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-mamba/

Secondly, the price:

I paid £99.99p INC VAT.

Thoughts

Have to say, if you can't justify spending 100 quid on a mouse, you can seriously see why this mouse is priced so high, it stinks of quality right from the box, it comes in a trophy case type thing, on a podium in a see through perspex box. With manuals, cables etc hidden in the bottom of the case. The manuals are high quality in terms of finish etc. Detailed.

Each box is a origami type affair clearly folded by hand haha along with the batter and the battery cover wrapped in individual plastic wrappers, sealed with a nice sticker. The finish on everything is top quality.

Performance wise:

The best mouse I have used, period. At the DPI it has, you would expect to be jumping past things but it moves well, smooth, and instant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Has anyone got one? what do you think of it?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

£100 for a mouse, I couldn't justify it... to my wife and to be honest, unless it came with a 24k brick of gold I wouldn't buy it.

Then again, it does look sweet...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. westernkings

The way I justified it was like this, I don't go out much, I've been out to the pub etc once in about 2 months simply because I'm rushed off my feet at work trying to get the entire network installed before September 3rd.

It's not hard to spend £70 easy on a night out, a tenner on a taxi there, 60 on drinks, tenner back. So, it was ok to buy it haha. *trying to convince my self there really* By the way. Them pictures were taken on my mobile ;)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Nice quality :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I have a razer deathadder, the "predecessor" to the mamba if you will, which is good but I don't use it currently. It's around 1/3 of the price and is optical (which is proven to be better than laser) but wired and lower in DPI, though DPI isn't that important and you won't gain any real benefit from the increase on the mamba - it can actually cause negative accel if your DPI is too high compared to the resolution you play games at.

The deathadder was nice, the tracking was especially awesome, but the overly slippy plastic on the sides gave me some problems with gripping. I added cloth tape which helped a lot but made the shape slightly more awkward to hold. I believe the mamba addresses this, so that's a major plus for the mamba - though I don't think it's worth the £70 difference.

I've also tried the Intelli 3.0 recently which is a fairly similar mouse to deathadder/mamba and it was also good. Now I find myself back on my trusty old Logitech MX300 - 400 DPI or something but with an ambidextrous shape which, for me, feels more comfortable to hold for prolonged periods - I'm aware that the DA/Mamba/Intelli are supposed to be a more natural shape but I find I get uncomfortable with them :eek:

With that said, everything I've read about the mamba has been possitive. I'm glad you're not dissapointed with your purchase - it's a fair cost to find out you don't like something - but I don't consider it worth the extra £70 over the Deathadder which, in my and other like minded gamer's opinions, is superior.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Wait

...are we really talking about spending 100 quid on a Mouse?

That, frankly, is absolutely insane.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Overpriced.

But if it floats yer boat then go for it. :biggrin

Try and get down the pub more often though. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. westernkings

See, theres only so many times you can go the pub before I grates lol :D I have really started to appreciate small things lol, like socks in different colours and crazy patterns etc haha.

Doesn't it show I have run out of things to do with my self :biggrin

9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Sweet!

I am using Logitech G5 and I really like it. Not gonna say anything about the price because when I was buying mouse + mouse pad (Steel Pad) I spent £120 quid for the combo at the time :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  10. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I just use what ever mouse i have at the moment it is an old dell optical mouse.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

For some reason hearing that you spent that much on a mouse made me think of this video. :)

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/sony_releases_new_stupid_piece_of

It's got strong language for those that are easily offended. :)

p.s. It's possible that I spent £70 on an MS Bluetooth mouse when it came out a few years ago. One of the best mice I ever owned though, gotta admit. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That could be a battery a day for some people. :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I believe you can play wired though and continue to do so while charging the battery. Open to correction on this.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  14. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Nice mousey (as my cat would say :p ) !

I'm still using my Logitech G7 (like the G5 but wireless) which was around the £55 mark (trade). The rechargable proprietary batteries now have to be swapped over each day but, other than that, it's still gaming away !

Combined with a ZBoard gamers keyboard (wired) I can game away to my heart's content.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  15. westernkings

The wire that attaches to the wireless/charger stand plugs straight into the mouse and charges it it. Or you can leave it on the stand, whichever floats your boat.