The quest begins....

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Fanatical, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Well having got my A+ under my belt I'm off to find that elusive first jon in IT. I work in admin in the NHS so my current wage is around 14k a year so hopefully even a starting level job won't be a big hit to me financialy although much less than what I'm on isn't really an option.

So what are the best places to search for jobs? What are the best sites and whats the best places to check out in the real world? Is it worth seeing what a temp agency can find for me?

i am under no illusions that I will just fall into a decent job and that I will probably miss out on the ones that I do find but if I can start searching straight away the rewards can only come sooner.....

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

plenty of links in this thread...

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Why don't you start chatting to the IT people at work? They should have contacts that might help.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

People-networking is the best way to find IT jobs. *Everyone* applies for jobs listed in newspapers and online job search sites, so the competition is usually pretty intense.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

OOPS, thanks for that! I will be popping into the IT bods little store room at some point to try and pick their brains and I may as well email the helpdesk manager and IT lead at the same time and see if they need anybody even on a temp basis....

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I concur!:biggrin

I work in IT Dept at a local Hospital and most of the jobs are advertised internally.

The IT Dept runs work experience for two weeks or runs a placement for students at University. Maybe where you work you can arrange some work experience or even voluntary work with the IT manager. Since you already on the NHS books they are more likely to take you on because they don't have to wait for your CRB security form or references to come through or even medical. You've already done that part being a Admin! 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+