The magic of powershell

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Jan 24, 2015.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I say magic as i was able to do something in 365 that i couldnt do through its admin panel, one thing you cant do is export a list of users to a csv file. The reason i needed to do this was because we have 1616 users from our organisational unit, aptly named Users in AD. However in office 365 we have something likee 2465 users meaning that we cant assisgn licences as they are all filled up, with old users.

I say old users i mean users who have left the college. So i have got the network admin to send me a list of the users we are meant to have which is 1616 and i need to compare that against the list thats been created from the office 365 list etc.

Then i need to modify a script to delete these users in one swipe, obviously testing first so i mess anything up.

I think im writing this as i was a bit down last month because we were getting used for jobs that were not associated with NWS, but yesterday being able to liaise with people and then working out what form of action to take whilst still running thee IT desk with 2 people down, its fair to say yesterday i really enjoyed it, and best of all, i got to work with powershell again

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good stuff mate. I take it you don't have AD in sync with 0365?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Yeah, well were supposed to, it appears that this has been left for a long time, then sort of sorted then now ive come to it. All the accounts are synced , however from what i am gathering O365 cant distinguish between 2 types of licences. We have 365 pro for students and 365 E1, so in effect they have 2. Some are cloud accounts so that's another area to explore. And why O365 doesnt disassociate an account is beyond me.

However, i want to make it my own so to speak as I have seen people wanting the skills for this, so Im in a good place to learn.... given the chance.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680