The Lone Ranger

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Dec 19, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok, it's an American icon...sue me. There are currently, including me, only three techs working here. Our interim director is a "process" man and doesn't deal with the network. Ron took the day off leaving David and me. David just came in, sick as a dog. Just here to cancel appointments and change the tapes in his servers then he's off again. The interim director will be in at 11 (it's a little after 8 a.m. here now). That leaves me.

I know what you're thinking. This is my big chance to rise to the occasion and cover myself with glory. Problem is, if I don't know how to do something, I don't know how. Wish me luck. This will be interesting.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Bruins

Bruins Bit Poster

You can do it Trip, you are the MAN :D

3. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

All you need to know can be found somewhere on the Internet Trip, and I'm sure we'll help if we can too!!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Just remember

DON'T PANIC :!: :!:

and smile a lot then pepole will think you know what your doing.

AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well, I've heard nothing on Reuters /BBC about any "Server Room Explosions in municipal Idaho", so I reckon you must have done something OK, Trip.

Cometh the hour, cometh the Man - a phrase I believe in :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually it's been ok. I got a call from the mayor's office this morning. A worker at Wastewater called and said he got a message on his computer saying he was being watched and wanted to know if it was us. To make a long story short, after placing some calls, I found out that ePolicy Orchestrator Agent was coming up at boot. I don't know why, but all he has to do is hit the close button and all is well. A lot of the workers at wastewater including their director aren't super bright. I reassured them that I wasn't spying on them.

Had a semi-panic call from a firestation. They're having an open house today plus are opening for business officially on Sunday and they can't print. The guy also needs adobe acrobat installed but you need admin privledges for that. I did a search of the servers for their printer but couldn't find it. I went out and found that they'd already had a port created for the ip address of that printer and just finished the install. Made sure a regular firefighter could access it and downloaded adobe for them.

Came back to the office and met with the interim IS director for about an hour or more (took that long because he was taking phone calls at the same time). Talked about my perceptions of the job and what I thought should be done differently. At the end, he asked if I'd still be available after the end of my contract. Of course I told him yes. Not a permanent job, but they may call me back to help with the revisions to the department, further documenation of the network, setting up some wireless stuff. We'll see...

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Trip - sounds to me like you ran the City yourself today - best go and change "Lone Ranger" to "Superman"

Well done, Mate :clap

Oh, wait - breaking news story - oh dear :cry:

<marquee> Idaho IT infrastructure implodes </marquee>

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I love you too, sweetheart. :vampv