The Human I.T. Network

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The Human I.T. Network

One of the key tools for an I.T professional during the arduous process of looking for a job is other I.T people. In this financial and political climate of layoffs and overseas outsourcing, computer people are going to have to stick together, period. The I.T manager hiring today, may be the I.T manager looking for a job tomorrow. If we are going remain employed in what seems like difficult times ahead, I think we need to build our own network infrastructure that stretches beyond the Ethernet; we need to network ourselves as contacts.

Read the whole article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I agree with the article, I have a facebook profile dedicated to job hunting, and also signed up on that site (the name fails me at the moment).

Someone posted a link a few months back to the job search guy, his tips state most of the better jobs are found via networking rather than traditional job search, so something to consider.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Maybe someone here could put together a guide to networking ?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I’m not sure about a guide. But “Human Networking” is nothing more than making contact with other like-minded individuals. It’s about getting out and actually meeting people (face-to-face) or at least having a one-on-one conversation even if it is via email or phone.

I’d suggest attending local conferences or group outings. Many are free. I used to attend a group session at a local Pizza parlor with roots in FreeBSD. Although it became an open forum for anything IT related. Go to free vendor conferences. Sure it’s marketing for the vendor, but it’s usually free food and opportunity to meet people for attendees.

The most successful one I can think of is keeping in touch with past peers. You already know them; it’s just keeping the relationship alive.

It's about building a relationship not a one-time call out of the blue asking for a job lead. Nobody wants to hear from a person they haven't heard from in 5-years only to be asked if there are any opportunities at the company.

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

This has it's place to a certain extent.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Cuhulainn

Cuhulainn New Member

Since leaving education many years ago, I have used many caveats. One in this context, is:-
    "It's not what you know that's important, it's who you know."
    I have found this true many times. Social-networks are great tools for job-hunting.

WIP: MCDST
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I believe it's a combination of the 2: what you know as well as who you know.

For example... I would be more inclined to hire someone I know if they knew how to do the job, however I would be less inclined to hire someone I knew if they didn't know how to do the job. Wouldn't you? I mean if you made the decision and the person you knew messed up, whose going to take part of the blame?*

-Ken

*of course it depends on the type and level of the job, plus what you recommended...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security