The CV is dead - long live the iProfile

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ence, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

The CV is dead - long live the iProfile

iprofile.org

I sent my CV off today to an Agent, On reply email url about having a better change of getting work by using iProfile. Anyone used before any good ?

see 1st URL what iProfile about

Don't know if CF will classed this a spam

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Its news to me! May have a looksie later if I get a chance. Thanks for the info though. :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Not everyone looks and sounds good in a video. Also (and I didn't click the link, so correct me if I've made a wrong assumption), but I can read text much, much faster than I can watch the same content presented in video format.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Why is it, these days, that to make people believe you are serious about your buisness, companies are lable everything as ixxx? Is it because they hope customers etc will think they are associated with Apple? or that they are interactive? (yes i know thats mainly it).

Every time i see something as i-xxx i always look to see an Apple logo, when i know thats unlikley.

Anyway, i've taken a look, but i wont be using it. And i cant imagine that many employers looking at it either. They prefer emailed CVs or else paper copies. I could see agencies using it, but then only those that spam off job requests.

I could also see the down side in that, if an employer sees what you look like in the video and how you act, that might put them off looking any further at your skill set or experience.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

:blink what Video ?

I understand the ixxx I don't have an i phone or ibob don't like to follow the mass.

6. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I've used it just the once, when I applied for an IT position through Hays Recruitment. The funny thing is, they never got back to me and I've not used it since ;)

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Yes, I have used iProfile as I regsietered my CV with Hays and they automatically set me up on it.

Frankly, I'm not impressed.

I have had numerous emails from iProfile about how wonderful it is and the number of recruiters using it.

I decided to make a concerted effort and attempted to update my info (it takes an uploaded CV and attempts to split it up into sections - for me this was a disaster as it missed half the importnat detail off) only to find a peristent error preventing me from updating.

I emailed their support people who never even bothered coming back to me.

I have (eventually) managed to get the changes through. I then went and selected as many IT recruiters as I could find including those where I had already applied via other jobsites.

Yesterday, out of the blue, I received this update :

Activity Summary

Sends 0

Views 1

Feedback 0

Job Applications 8

Messages Sent 0

Flagged by a Recruiter 0

General Contacts 0

iProfile Agencies 10

Phone Calls 0

It shows that the ONLY TIME my CV has been looked at was when Hays put it on there originally. Even having applied for other jobs via Hays they have not been back to look at the profile.

In nearly 4 months of job-hunting this has been the biggest waste of time.

I have had far better success just uploading my CV to cwjobs, totaljobs etc etc

Not to say this will be your experience but from my own, I wouldn't get your hopes up !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I didn't see anything in the presentation about a video... it basically spoke of an online place to host your CV so recruiters and employers can see it...

...umm...

...isn't that basically the same service that established companies like Monster and Dice provide? :blink

If you're worried about old CV stuff being out there, there's this cool thing called the "World Wide Web" (quote-fingers used for emphasis) where you can host your own online CV that employers can view - all you do is give them this thing called a "Web address". Which is basically the same thing as you're giving them with an iProfile... except you'll have even greater control, since you host your own info. :p

iProfile is probably a fine service... but I really don't see anything revolutionary about what they're offering.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

There isn't apart from the fact that several recruiters use it so it's supposed to mean you don't need to regsister with them direct

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  10. BosonMichael

...and several recruiters use the other sites. So I'm still not seeing the advantage provided by iProfile. Just sayin'. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

THE CV IS DEAD!!!!

OMG ROFLMFAO - UR NT STL USNG A CV R U? THAT IS SOOOOOO 80ZZZZZZ MAN

Am particularly loving their blurb on the front page of their site:

"The preferred CV template" - preferred by whom, exactly? - aahhhhh yes - 2500 UK recruiters. I reckon there must be at least 100,000 people working in the recruitment industry in the UK. Until more than 50,000 of them are using iProfiles as their "preferred CV template" (whatever the **** that means) I don't think I'll bother thanks. Or maybe the seventeen interview offers I've had (just counted 'em) from recruiters this week were just figments of my imagination?

Another crock of **** marketing gimmick from some pillocks that think they'll change the world because they put an 'i' (lower case, natch) in front of something.

Actually, now that we're on the subject, I've noticed that the whole world has been, like, chaaaaanged man, by teh interwebz. Why only this morning I woke up, got out of my iBed, went to the iFridge, ate my iConrnflakes and then went to my iWork on the iBus.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. BosonMichael

yeah, d00d... I just txt my CV in nowadayz. Makes me 1337.

13. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

What is 1337? :lol:

WIP: A+
  14. Markyboyt

You should drive a BMW, some of them have their own iBus :lol: granted they prefer Ibus but same difference

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

1337 - leet - elite

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. BosonMichael

What is 900913? :twisted:

18. Markyboyt

A search engine :lol:

19. BosonMichael

I had to go for the humor. :D

20. Markyboyt

I guessed that 1337 was meant to represent something but I couldn't see the link, just thought it was a word, didn't realise it was a whole 'language', my eyes have been opened :lol:

And thanks zebulebu for the link to the wiki page for it, very enlightening.