The concept of certs expiration..

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I often have debates with myself when I cant sleep and I have been thinking of cert expiration and have abit of a theory now that it could be a money making agenda. Lets say you have MCSA Windows 8 and its expiring next month so soon you wont have an MCSA and will have to recertify. This doesnt make sense as Windows 8 hasnt changed its just old so why would it kill them to not let it expire?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've been saying that for 5+ years here. A+ never used to expire, CCIE didnt use to expire, MCSA didnt use to expire.

They all expire now, and certification has gone from a cottage industry to a multi million $ enterprise.

I think long and hard where i spend my money now, certification can pay off, but its worth thinking about.

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Like DMarsh I too think about it and for the most part it is about the certification vendor making money off new certifications but it's also about changes to technology.

I can understand new certifications keeping current because whilst I have an NT4 MCSE I can honestly say that the last time I touched an NT4 box was well over 10 years ago, even longer for my Novell CNA\CNE certifications.

If I am hiring someone for a role that's going to be based on Windows 2012 then I am looking at certifications based on that technology, what I don't expect tho is for that vendor to keep their 2003 certifications up to date and available for that small minority.

What does annoy me is the 2 / 3 year cycle of renewal that some vendors expect, at least now with VMware you can sit any current VCP (or VCAP Admin style exam) to renew your VCP status, that status tells enquiring minds that you're current on that version tho.

As a side issue, I haven't updated my MS MCITP\MCSE since my 2008 exams because quite simply I couldn't be bothered to go thru that cycle again, my last VMware exam was the VCAP which renewed my VCP for another two years and my only other considerations for exams are either LPI or Cisco Datacentre \ Cyber Ops or another VCAP\VCIX and then perhaps leave it a while.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA