The Cert Forums Fitness Challenge

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Gingerdave, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Spured on by Pehonix's recent weight loss and my own pitiful performance at me recent grading I have decided to supliment my training with some body weight exercises and came across some websites that fit the bill nicely.

All three websites have a comon goal, to take you from doing little or none or an exercise and over a six week structured period get to an initally obscene total in one set.

The exercises and totals are

100 Pushups
    200 Situps
    200 Squats

That scares me just looking at it. The websites (or the app if you have a Fruit Phone) detail what the ammount for that session is and your targets for the week, after an inital test to see how many you can do.

So here is the challenge, I am going to do all three of these programs together and then at the end of the six week period try to do them all back to back :blink

If I am successfully I my intention is to add another body weight exercise using the structure of the others as a guide line.

My plan is for all the exercises to be body weight only so they dont require any additional equipment and can be done in hotel rooms etc for those of us who travel. We could encourage each other as we go - effectively a study group for fitness if you will. You need not do all of them at once - or even the headline totals if you think that is beyond you (or too easy for you - add a few) but my hope was that we could all get a bit fitter together.

So who is with me?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

haha I have the 100 pushups app on my phone
    I have 0 upper body strength, need to work on that

I'm also doing some CrossFit (just starting) they post a WoD every day
    don't be scared by it, just remember to scale it BACK to n00b levels

there is a great write up in one of the CrossFit journals on doing a beginner 12 week set with nothing more than an olympic bar set (or a gym with a decent freeweight section)

good stuff

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I know the cross fit stuff but that is a bit much at the moment. So are you in then?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nah. Sounds like a lotta hard work tbh

:biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Fair play to you mate!

I have been a bit crap recently and haven't exercised apart from playing 5 a side since coming back from Turkey.

I did the following routing in Turkey every other day, and its pretty good:

- 4 Mile Run
    - 30 Slow Press Ups
    - 60 Sit Ups
    - 20 Slow Incline Press Ups (feet on a chair)
    - 40 Leg Raises (side to side)
    - 30 Dips (feet and hands on chairs)

It's not the best, but pretty good for a quick overall body work out.

Should hopefully start hitting the gym again very soon, new job has thrown me a bit off.

I miss the buzz after a quality workout!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Run 3 times a week at 30 mins a pop! That's all you need guys! We're designed to run (as in pursue at more then walking speed) after our food...not lift it 100 times. So just simulate that you're chasing after a wild boar...like Astrix...or Obelix!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am hoping to have the all clear from the docs in August so I can go back to the gym. I haven't been able to go for four years and have piled on a bit of weight.

I got bottled by some **** with a bag full of beer bottles and have permanant bleeding from the blood vessels in my eyes. I am only allowed to walk or swim which sucks.

And I used to be able to 100 press ups on 3 fingers, cant do 10 on two arms now :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. drum_dude

If this is in an effort to lose abdominal fat then what you're doing is counter productive. One cannot spot reduce fat, it's in your DNA. All situps do is build the muscle under the fat...making you look even fatter!

Sad but true! Also, don't reduce your fat intake...fat does not make you fat. It's your body's mechanism of storing excess energy that makes you fat and that excess energy ultimately leads to diabetes. Butter, animal fat etc is good for you...stops you from getting in the habit of pigging out on sh*t at different times during the day! Try toast (white or brown) with lashings of real butter...keeps you going till way past the afternoon. And why? Real butter takes ages to digest! Cerels etc bypass the gall bladder meaning you keep pigging out on nothing! Goes through the gut so fast that your brain hardly notices it!

Balanced diet and excercise is really the key, however, don't deny your body the building blocks of life!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  9. greenbrucelee

agreed

Also not eating regularly means that you store more fat so when you do eat the fat you eat builds on the fat that is stored.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I exercise by picking up pints of beer... ...repeatedly! :biggrin

WII fit now and again seems to be enough for me.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. drum_dude

The myth that p*sses me off GBL is the Cholesterol myth! These damn VIs (Vested Interests) force feed us with the BS (Bullsh*t) that Cholesterol is bad for you! That is a damn lie. Your body needs cholesterol..BUT...when you deny it cholestrol i.e. eating VI approved foods like margerine etc (non-fats), your liver overproduces the stuff to try and make up for the shortfall! Which leads to clogging of the arteries!

No doubt I'll be shot down in flames! But damn...I love butter!!!

12. drum_dude

And pints of Magners Sparky!!! With ice!!! (the ice actually reduces the hangover LOL)

13. greenbrucelee

I agree your body needs all of this stuff. If you eat everything in mderation then you will be fine it's when you stop eating things your body either compensates for it or gives up on it eitherway is bad.

Butter is better than that bloody health margarine crap, give me lard for the frying pan and screw the verggy oil :D

14. drum_dude

I dig yer style mate...how about me and you drop this IT stuff and open up our own Chippy...park the Beemer and ST outside, then head down the nightclubs after hours stinking of lard and animal fat? :D

15. greenbrucelee

good move, the only thing is have you seen what lard and beer do to people? it aint nice :D

16. drum_dude

I'll PM you a piccy mate...I think you'll like it :oops:

just joking of course! :D

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's not too hard, to be honest... especially if there's no time limit. In the Army, we had to do as many pushups and situps as possible in 2 minutes... so we went as fast as possible. As long as I know I'm going for quantity, not speed, I think I could probably do them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Eating more times and in smaller dosis, instead of having a big dinner or a big lunch. For those who can afford going to the gym, well, you're not gonna see any results in the first 2 two months. But when you see it, you'll feel great.

Certifications: MCDST
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Let's see...on a perfect week, my workout goes as follows.

4X a week: 45 minutes aerobic on an Elliptical machine: 5 minute warmup @lvl 7, 35 min aerobic @lvl 9, 5 minute "warmdown" @lvl 7 (yeah, I know the levels don't mean much, but they are the ones that fit me right now).

2X a week: upper body weight machines (no free weights at this point), 11 machines, 2 sets each.
    2X a week: lower body weight machines (no free weights at this point), 8 machines, 2 sets each.

2-4X a week: 2 ab machine exercises, 2 sets each.
    2-4X a week: 2 lower back exercises, one machine, one roman chair, 2 sets each.

Not all weeks are perfect such as this one (going on vacation tomorrow or the next day), but I keep plugging away at it on a regular basis. My motto: "Fear the Fat". :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Trip, you are a dedicated man for being able to stay on that schedule. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!