The best & worst MS Operating Systems

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi all,

Was wondering if you've seen this:

The best and worst Windows versions ever

With Windows 2000 being the best, 3 guesses on what the worst is...

See here...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

no surprise there :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

No arguements from me. 8)

Still a little unsure about Vista though........

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm starting to have a harder time administering Win2K boxes than I do WinXP boxes. Things are just failing much more often on the Win2K boxes nowadays. I loved Win2K Pro, but I think it's time to put it out to pasture.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well no surprises there then...but give Vista a couple of years to settle and im sure it will be hot!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

let say till sevrice pack 2? :)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  7. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

I got a free upgrade to Vista when I bought my laptop, but am waiting for SP1 before I install it

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP
  8. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Windows Me has been described as the AOL of the operating systems, but it seems I am the only one that actually liked it.

I never had any trouble with it and found it a very good system. I used the upgrade version for a clean install and it worked perfectly always. I still have two systems that I support that run on Me.

I have had tons of problems with the upgrade version installed onto win98. It was more bother than worth, but take the same upgrade disc and do a clean install and I had one of the best systems I could hope for as far as win9x family were concerned.

Windows 2K? Now that was and still is an absolute gem. Microsoft really outdid itself with that one. It certainly was the jewel in the crown, although XP did catch up after SP2.

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

ME has to be the quickest ever OS I've ever ditched, within an hour it was removed and consigned to the nearest bin.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. Kitkatninja

I liked it... I found it faster than Win 98, however only as long as I didn't install or use any applications that pre-dated Windows 98. If I tried installing/run some applications that were made for DOS or Windows 95, Windows ME would just topple over. Hence why IMO Windows ME was the worst MS OS, lets face it back then there were still alot of great apps (as in games) that just wouldn't work properly in ME. And there's only so long you can use either a blank OS or just Office before you either download back to 98 or upgrade to 2k or XP :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  11. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Fair enough, but I have never been a gamer and none of the machines I worked or built with Me were for gaming. Not that some people did not try, but I always maintained that if you want to play games, use PS or Nintendo.

12. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I remember having to use the sys restore feature in ME almost every week! :ohmy

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Heresy!!! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I mostly agree with the list and ratings. I also think, that the time has come to move away from Windows 2000 although for many years it was my operating system of choice, XP after SP2 is very good and better than W2K. As for ME *spit* absolute nightmare - oggler if you have used it without issues, well good onya but you are one of the lucky ones, in most cases it is an unpredictable, unstable and unusable piece of craparoonie.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. Kitkatninja

For me it really depends on what "game" mood I'm in. There are some types of game that I'd only play on a console (xbox, Wii, etc), but then there are some games that I'd only play on a PC.

-Ken

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life