The best way to get a IT Support Role?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Justin-, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Justin-

Justin- New Member

Hi guys.

At the moment my career aim is land a role in IT Support.

I'm thinking the obvious way to do this is to study for a MCDST technician and go from there.

However , I do have a couple of querys regarding this....

How valueable is the said qualification?

As the only people who I've heard praising it , are the people who want to take your £££££ ;)

The other , alot of job advertisemnts I've seen for this role all seem to require one year + experience.

What would you guys reckon the best way to get into IT Support is?

Thanks alot for your time:D

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That cert is well respected by the majority of members on this site.. my advice, go for it :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

As long as you can show some IT knowledge you should be able to start off at help desk 1st line support level and work your way up. Experience may help you with your qualification as well

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Let's backup a second. What sort of experience (even informal) do you have with PC and desktop support? Do you know some basic things like upgrading RAM in a PC or how to install a sound card? If you want to connect a PC to the Internet and to other computers in a home or small business, what equipment and parts would you need?

If you don't know basic hardware, operating system, and network support, you might want to focus on CompTIA's A+ and Network+ certifications. Studying for them will help you learn the basics and then you can move on to Microsoft's desktop support cert.

I've said this before, but no certification will "get" you a job. Just having a cert all by itself is no promise of anything. I know it seems like a Catch 22 that you need experience to get a job but you need a job to get experience, but there's all kinds of experience.

Building your home lab, helping friends and family fix computer problems, volunteering to support PCs at a local non-profit organization are all good.

Did any of that help?

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with bluerinse, a cert is a good way to start. Start with something like A+ and Network+ and also try to get some experience.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Justin-

Justin- New Member

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful replies.

I'm currently , in 2 minds about joining up with Advent at the minute.

The hard sell they do is on a high level , and all the rest etc etc , but I was told yesterday that they train you to get " their" jobs , I.E they fix computers so probally have a contracts?

However , the 4,200 cost compared to these guys seems very high-http://www.e-careers.co.uk/online-training-courses/microsoft_master.htm