The benefits of writing notes?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by robanpadd, Jul 10, 2004.

1. robanpadd

robanpadd Bit Poster

While i was studying for my N+ i gave up writing notes about half way through as i found i was literally writing everything i was reading.

What are the benefits of writing notes over just reading the information?

Do any of you guys not write notes, or do you have any tips on the sort of information to make on? The two study guides iv'e got are pretty hefty and i think it would take me weeks to make notes on both of them?

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: ECDL, A+, N+
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I think its personal preference mate, some people find by writing it down they further drill it in, others just need to read it

I dont write notes, I hate writing, and i got sick of teachers at school wanting us to take notes on what was clearly written down in front of us, so i dont take notes, not even in meetings lol

like i said its down to how well you learn from just reading, or if physically writing it down helps solidify your understanding

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. robanpadd

robanpadd Bit Poster

Thanks Phoenix.

I'm gonna give it a go without notes and see what happens. I'm with you on hating writing, i just think it's time wasted when i could be reading more.

Thanks again for the help.

4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I bought some record cards the other day.

They're 6x4" plain white cards, which I use to write short notes.
    I'll leave them by my computer and pick one up now and then, just read it, and put it down again.I don't worry about remembering it at first, that'll come with time.
    Amazing thing is, a short note will be the catalyst for so many questions, firing off your curiosity.

I don't write everything down I read, instead I write down what I feel is a gap in my knowledge, in order to fill the gap.

Ask yourself how much you already know, before you start writing notes.
    There's no point in writing many words down, just for the sake of it.
    The mistake can be made, whereby you think if you remember everything, it becomes knowledge.So people write it down, hoping the physical act of writing will solidify the words in their mind.
    This is highly inefficient and ineffective for successful learning.

Mind maps and ABC lists are excellent ways to bring your knowledge together and help gain understanding, arise curiosity in yourself and use your creative side.

I've started some ABC lists on here in a couple of the forums.
    Check them out, add to them, or try your own one's.
    Don't worry about remembering them, simply leave them by your desk and consult them when you feel the need.
    You'll remember them as you consult them more and more, easily.

Here's a link to explain Mind Maps: Definition of Mind Maps

Your desire to make notes, or at least somehow use a physical act/creativity to learn is perfectly normal.
    The above advice I give is far better than copying your books word for word, it will still hopefully help you gain knowledge and understanding.

We've been writing and drawing for thousands of years, so go ahead and use it, but in a way that works.[​IMG]

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm not doing any certification courses at the moment, but I am doing an Open University degree in Computing and IT.

I do not take notes I just read through the books.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Back when I started on the A+. I must have basically written out the book again, robanpadd. After I sat it, I thought how much quicker it would have been with fewer notes.

However, I continued to take notes for 210 and 215, but much more controlled, ie only what I felt were really key points. Worked a treat.

I believe, that taking notes does re-inforce the knowledge you are gaining from the books/hands-on work.

The balance does come eventually, it just depends how much you need for note-taking to be effective.

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. robanpadd

robanpadd Bit Poster

Thanks for all the advice guys :D

8. Jonesos

Jonesos Bit Poster

I have pretty much always written notes for any book I have studied. I have also done it on occasion for CBT videos.

I have found that when I read a book my mind tends to wander after about 40 mins or so and even if I take a break I cant keep that level of concentration up.

By writing notes I keep my self awake, focused and even if my brian does start to wander I realise what I am doing and read what I have just blindly written down.

I dont copy the whole book, I just condense it down. I have found that a lot of books these days tend to be verbose in the extreme. In addition I have also found that as I have learnt more over the years whenever I now open a new book I find I know parts or whole chapters of the books already and can speed read it. Leaving me less notes to read.

Certifications: MCSE(2K3, 2K),MCSA(2K3, 2K),MCP(NT4)
    WIP: MSc, CCNA, SCNA