That was interesting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wizard, Jan 11, 2008.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just decided to swap the PSU out of one comp that I had cannabalised because it wasn't powering up properly about 6 months ago.

I discovered why.

I put into my working comp, it was making a couple of funny noises thought nothing about it because it hadn't been used in a while and was probably a little dusty, tried to get world of warcraft to work, usual problems wouldn't work, so I powered down the comp after deleting a couple of folders and booted up the comp again, still got the funny noises, so deleted another couple folders again.

This time it got a little interesting, computer powered down ok then boom, a nice firework display and a nice plume of smoke.

So put the old psu back in again and switched the comp on, all is fine.

It shows how well antec psus are built to fail, no damage to the motherboard.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I suppose all PSUs go at some point, I am putting in my new one tonight. Although my old PSU is still working after the issues I had with the hard drive and CD drive not working last weekend I need to do it for piece of mind.

Also I have never like the odd smell that seems to come from the old one, smells like it going to die.

I googled my old PSU on the net when I first got my computer and could only find it in two places and most expensive price for it was 32.99 so I guess the moral of the story is when getting a PSU don't get the cheap as chips version cos it fook yer comp.

I thought Antecs where supposed to be good, I know they make excellent cases.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I thought antecs were supposed to be good as well, nevermind.

I have priced up the build of a new comp and I'll be buying the bits in the next 6 months, by then they'll be all out of date.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep thats the problem with buying parts for a new build, go for the most expensive you can afford then they'll still be quite new for a while.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Wiz it's a good thing that your mobo is still good. Although to be honest I am not surprised with the Antec psu failing it does happen once in a while, but I still think that Antec psu's are good. I am using one for well over a year and still no issues.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I take it ya debt busting is going to plan if your building a new system mate?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house