That 1st job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sendalot, Apr 12, 2013.

1. sendalot

sendalot Nibble Poster

So, I'm a fresh college graduate with Network+ and CCNA.

What can I do to land a first real job?

I shouldn't bother going into concentrations for Cisco stuffs since I have 0 experience?

What would help now? A+? MTA?

Thanks.

Certifications: Many
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I would suggest going for the A+ 220-801/2 series

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Drop the CCNA and CCENT from your CV!!!

I really can't believe this, you have been told time after time that you have too much in the way of certifications, the CCNA is not an entry level cert and to be honest neither is any kind of Project Management certification, yet again you're wondering why you're not getting a job when you're new to the industry.

Take it from someone who has some experience and knowledge when it comes to it, I wouldn't hire someone new to the industry if they had a CCNA and no commercial experience, simple as. Adding more certifications to your CV won't do it but taking some off it may just help you.

For the love of all things technical, stop doing certs, get some real world experience and come back to the certification track in a couple of years because honestly if you carry on this route then the only thing you're going to do is not get a role and get more pissed off and try and get more certs and do yourself more harm than good.

Try to understand, certifications aren't there to get into IT, they are there to show your commercial experience and to back that experience up with the certification, stop trying to bypass the system and do things properly. Honestly I am going blue in the face here trying to tell you it so maybe I need to be a little more clear.

STOP GETTING MORE CERTS, START GETTING MORE EXPERIENCE.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    snitchdnb21 likes this.
  4. sendalot

sendalot Nibble Poster

Take it easy bro. (or "mate" as you would say in UK)

Unemployment rate wouldn't be so high if "getting more experience" was that easy.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Yet you're struggling to get a role with the certs and no experience, what does that tell you?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Take it easy everyone!

I can see it is a bind. I you aren't getting anywhere looking at the jobs you are looking at, you probably need to start looking lower. So for example, if you are looking at 2nd line support, look at "first line", or "junior" job descriptions.

I don't know about removing the CCNA, as has been pointed out, it's a qualification for experienced people.

But my best advice would be to set your sights lower.

Send your CV out (minus personal details) on this forum, and you will get plenty of suggestions for improvement.

7. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

I think you should probably look at going for an entry level role...

I remember when I got my first networking job I had a few microsoft certs and the CCENT. I learnt so much and the engineers I worked with didn't even have the CCNA but knew BGP / OSPF / EIGRP etc...

The CCNA qualification is aimed at people with experience wanting to back up their knowledge with a Vendor qualification... If you like a sort of ego booster.

This said, I would still leave the CCNA on your CV, it will probably get you an interview where you will need to prove your skills with a test.

Keep sticking on in there, something will come your way sooner or later.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  8. sendalot

sendalot Nibble Poster

Spent a few hours updating my Resume(CV) and I'm starting to get more responses already.

Recruiters I spoke to from major cities (San Fran, LA, Chicago, NY) mostly say they would want an entry candidate with CCNA, even without experiences, to kind of make sure I at least know something.

I'm going to pursue harder.

Thanks a lot.

9. Rockerfella

Rockerfella Bit Poster

Mate as someone said earlier if your thinking about the A+ make sure its the 801 as its the updated version. I personally wouldnt spend all the time and money in getting all the qualifications under the sun as its mainly experience you are looking for. My cousin signed with an agency which trained him and gave him placement at the end. Not sure what training he had, but I know the placement was in 1st line support. Im doing the A+ now but havent got around to doing what i need to yet, however if your keen on this agency he signed up for then PM me and ill get some info from him - maybe that would help?

10. sendalot

sendalot Nibble Poster

I messaged you. thanks.