Textbooks for the Network+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by fatp, Aug 28, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi all!

I'm going down the self-study route again and want to learn about basic networking concepts so...

What reading material is there for the Network+, in terms of textbooks?

Whats got a good reputation out there? and the most up-to-date?

-----

I used the AIO by Mike Meyers and Trips book for the A+! Is there any books like that out there for the N+?

FatP :)

2. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

links to amazon wud b great!

thanks again.

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I only used the MSPress book for the Network+, I did find this book useful for the theory knowledge. However I have to say that I was already working with large scale networks.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I feel like a kid in a sweet shop lookin for a good network+ book on amazon.

is there a well rated network+ equivalent of what mike meyers did for the aio A+. (I also know he does have an equivalent version for the network+). i mean something that is highly praised for the network+ exam.

confused? so am I.

6. geevee

geevee Bit Poster

I used Mike Meyer's AIO for Network+ and the Exam Cram books for my studies, I also have my day to day knowledge of supporting a reasonable sized business network but, these books certainly got me through ok! An Amazon search will find them in no time ;)

Best of luck with your studies!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-290, 70-621
  7. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I'm gonna get either the

(1) Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Third Edition: Exam Guide (All-in-one) by Michael Meyers (Hardcover - 1 Nov 2004)

or

(2) Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-003 by David Groth and Toby Skandier (Paperback - 22 April 2005)

Anyone read the books mentioned above and got any opinions?

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Both are good, but I've never heard a single complaint about the Groth book.

That said, Mike Meyers has updated Network+ content that covers the 2007 updates that customers of his book can get by asking him on his site.

If it were me, I'd probably get both of them, because books are cheap when compared to paying for an exam twice!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I got both, on the grounds that just one book isn't really enough. Both were good, with different emphasis, so between them they covered the ground nicely.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

I used both books (Groth + Mike Meyers) and would recommend buying them both also.

Like BosonMichael said, both books are pretty cheap on Amazon as opposed paying for the exam twice!

Good luck.

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

:hhhmmm that's interesting that you used Exam Cram book. I used the exam cram book for A+, but when I came to buying it for Network+. I was put off by the reviews stated here

geevee can you confirm if the reviews are correct in what they say about the book??:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. paulbarron

paulbarron New Member

The most recent publication I have seen is O'Reilly - Nutshell A+, Security+ Network+, printed mid 2007. Perhaps not the first choice of books but the most recent!

13. geevee

geevee Bit Poster

I went for this one rather than just the questions only book. I did spot a few things that didn't quite add up but overall I still found it a very good companion to the AIO book :) I like to get as much info from different sources as possible, I'm not sure if it's just me but they all seem to offer something a little different.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-290, 70-621